Life > Academics

5 Ways to Embrace a Dark Academia Mindset (Without Overworking Yourself)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Dark Academia, defined by an aesthetic encompassing mystery, rebellion, and sometimes even tragedy, excels in romanticizing the not-so-glorified college lifestyle. While it is true that embracing the aesthetic of dark academia can come with the risk of continuously dissociating or romanticizing overworking, it is essential to keep a balanced view that celebrates intellectual pursuits and academic rigor while maintaining a healthy work-life balance. And as we near the end of the winter quarter and finals draw closer, why not explore the alluring realm of dark academia? Embracing this captivating culture can add a touch of passion to your academic routine, fostering ambition while keeping your mind at ease. Here are some ideas on how we could get started: 

1. IMMERSE YOURSELF IN A NEW BOOK

Recommendation: “The Secret History” by Donna Tartt

Screen Shot 2024 02 25 at 8.09.27 PM

In The Secret History, widely regarded as a classic in the Dark Academia genre, readers are transported into the world of elite, affluent students. Narrated through the lens of Richard Papen, the story unfolds in a manner reminiscent of “The Great Gatsby,” tracing the transformation from an outsider to becoming a part of the privileged insiders. Having recently read the book, I found Donna Tartt’s writing to be nothing short of extraordinary. The atmosphere she creates vividly encapsulates the culture of Dark Academia, particularly as the characters delve into the realms of language and philosophy in their studies. Amidst the frenzy of finals and the quarter’s end, indulging in this book can offer a cozy break from studying. 

2. ENJOY DOWNTIME WITH A NEW SHOW:

Recommendation: “The Great”

Screen Shot 2024 02 25 at 8.16.10 PM

​​A whimsical exploration of dark academic themes, The Great showcases the rise of Catherine the Great who went from an outsider to the longest-reigning female ruler in Russia’s history. Through its clever portrayal, the series skillfully captures the challenges faced by women in pursuing literacy and education, providing a touching reflection on the journey through schooling and intellectual pursuits.

3. EXPLORE A DARK ACADEMIA FILM: 

Recommendation: “Tolkien”

The film Tolkien offers a compelling exploration into the life of the esteemed author John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, known for his work on novels The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. The film offers a glimpse into Tolkien’s upbringing before the publication of these iconic works. Set against the backdrop of boarding school life in Oxford and World War I, the story offers dark academia-inspired portrayal by exploring themes of outcasts, brotherhood, and friendship, with a central focus on Tolkien’s pursuit of writing and knowledge. Having just watched it, I was drawn in by the captivating dark academia aesthetic portrayed in the film and the intriguing depiction of college life which was especially engaging.

4. LISTEN TO DARK ACADEMIA INSPIRED MUSIC:

To fully embrace dark academia, music is key. Whether you’re studying, taking a walk, or simply need a break, listening to carefully selected tunes can help set the mood and romanticize your surroundings. Below, I’ve shared a link to one of my favorite playlists that I turn to for enhancing the ambiance of study sessions.

5) WANDER THROUGH A LOCAL BOOKSTORE:

Bookstores, with their dimly lit aisles, nostalgic scent of old pages, and quiet ambiance, embody the essence of dark academia. Beyond that they also offer a retreat from the bustle of everyday life and serve as a refreshing study break activity. Some of my favorite book stores nearby include Magus, Opheila book, and Elliott Bay Book Company. 

Overall, while embracing the dark academia lifestyle can indeed be an excellent means to romanticize your life and inject intrigue into the dreariness of studying, it’s equally crucial to prioritize breaks and mental well-being. Participating in one of the activities above, whether that be reading a thrilling dark academia book or listening to whimsical classical music, can help achieve this balance.

Naomi Hailu

Washington '25

Naomi, a third-year student at the University of Washington is a double major in Law, Societies, and Justice and Political Science. She is deeply passionate about various aspects of law and social justice. Post-graduation she plans to attend law school to tackle gaps in the justice system while exploring her interests in writing and journalism through platforms like HER Campus.