This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Today’s trendiest clothing pieces seem to be the hit styles from the past like the 90’s. Mom jeans, oversized sweatshirts, dad shoes, scrunchies, and mini backpacks are all items that our parents probably wore when they were teens and now we’re wearing them. Retail corporations like Urban Outfitters, Pacsun, and Brandy Melville are just a few of the many stores that promote this kind of style but the downside is that the clothing is incredibly expensive and they are also involved in the fast fashion industry, meaning that the items they produce move along quickly from shelves to customers, making people constantly feeling the need to buy more clothing all the time to keep up with the up to date fashion. Due to this, more and more clothing is becoming neglected and turning into waste. 

People are becoming more conscious of the choices they are making to help save our planet these days. While using reusable water bottles, wooden utensils, and reusable bags in grocery stores are great, more of us need to be aware of the clothing stores we are supporting and considering who is making clothing, where it’s produced, and what the background is behind the brand. There are many sustainable clothing brands who are supporting the act of being environmentally conscious right now which is amazing, but many of us can’t afford to buy all of their clothing from sustainable brands. That’s where thrifting comes into play.  

I’ve been thrifting for the past two years and now when I go shopping, I always go to thrift stores first before hitting the mall. Some of my favorite items I’ve collected are my Calvin Klein mom jeans, Tommy Hilfiger logo tee, various sweatshirts, and my Forever 21 denim jacket. Thrifted clothing is very inexpensive and you’re also helping the Earth by reducing waste. It’s also a fun activity whether you go by yourself or with a friend. Here are 5 important reasons on why you should buy new items less frequently and thrift more:

1. Saving the Planet 

By rewearing clothing, you are helping the environment by reducing pollution and reducing waste that piles up in landfills. According to Vagabondary, one American will abandon and throw away around 81 pounds of clothing a year per person! That’s terrifying to consider, and if we don’t become mindful about the choices we make, the numbers will only grow from there. Buy purchasing clothing that you might forget about in a few months, it means you are wasting materials and that can contribute to clothing becoming more expensive later on as more people demand for it. Of course, everyone switches up their style periodically so before you throw it out or shove it under your bed, ask if a family member or friend wants the clothes or donate it to thrift stores like Goodwill, Value Village, and Plato’s Closet. When you donate to Plato’s Closet, they pay you for donating clothing, which is a nice bonus. 

2. You Save Tons of Money 

Clothing is costly, and there’s a high chance that the items you buy at major stores won’t be worn in a few months. However, when you thrift you can find similar items at high end stores for a fraction of the cost. Thrifting is also an affordable way to stock up on basics too. The most expensive item I’ve seen at a thrift store was $20 and most thrift stores even have discount days where the whole store is discounted. 

3. It’s Easy to Spice Up Outfits

I’ve had moments where I’ve wanted to change my style but didn’t want to spend a lot of money. I’m sure many others have felt the same way where they are scared to branch out but don’t want to regret it later by spending tons of money. Thrifting is the perfect way to experiment with unique clothing pieces to revamp your wardrobe. You can also find many items that are one of a kind that your friends won’t have. Besides clothes, I’ve found so many cute belts, bags, and other accessories ranging only from $5-$10!

4. Supporting Charity and the Community  

Donating to charities and becoming aware of what kinds there is something we should all do because it’s important to give back to the community. Thrifting is one of the many ways you contribute and it’s quite easy as well. Many thrift stores give a percentage of their profits to different charities so while you shop, you also give back. Even if you aren’t in the mood to shop, you can donate your clothing which is also very helpful. The charities also change periodically so you are always donating to a new organization. Check out the information provided by Goodwill and Value Village to learn more. 

5. It’s a Fun Activity 

Thrifting has become a therapeutic activity for me and I could spend hours flipping through clothing racks but I also love going with a group of friends. It’s entertaining to give fashion advice, find clothes for each other, and try on silly pieces just for fun. In addition to being a fun hangout with friends, thrifting is a cute date idea! It’s an effortless way to incorporate shopping but also have it be a way to get to know each other. 

More and more people are starting to thrift and now, buying second hand clothing seems to be a cool thing to do which is so awesome. However, it’s important to keep in mind the reasons as to why it’s important to thrift. While it’s fun and helps you save money, it’s also a major way to help the planet and give back to the community. Try and make it a habit to go to thrift stores before going to major retail stores. Your community, wallet, and the planet will thank you for it. 

Jodhi James

Washington '21

Jodhi is a member of the writing team at Her Campus. She is studying English and has always had a love for reading and writing. In her free time she enjoys exploring new cafes and having fun with friends in the city.