5 Reasons Why You Need To Call Home More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

1. They miss you.

Even just hearing your voice can be enough to put a smile on your family’s face. They’ve gone from changing your diapers, to driving you to your extracurriculars, to simply seeing you everyday after school. Not seeing you as frequently is a big transition for them, especially if you’re the first one to be sent off to college. Regardless of how close you are with your family, just letting them know that they’re in your thoughts, despite how booming your separate college life is, can really make their day.

2. You DO have time.

The average Netflix episode is about an hour. Maintaining your Snapchat streaks and creeping on Instagram can take from 30 minutes to hours (if you eventually end up on your crush’s-ex-girlfriend’s-aunt’s vacation pictures). Calling mom and dad to update them about your day will take no more than 10 minutes. If you can make time to treat yo’ self, I’m sure you have SOME time to spare to make their day. You can even call them between breaks if you’re binge watching The Office or something.

3. They helped get you here. BE GRATEFUL.

Regardless of what background you come from, realize that education is a PRIVILEGE. Not everyone in the world can afford or even have access to an education, so the fact that you even have the opportunity to further your education is quite humbling. And the reason that you are able to do this is because your parents want to give you every opportunity to succeed. Don’t forget that.

4. You’re going to miss them one day.

One day, you’ll be up after finishing homework in the wee hours of the night, and start having those 2:00 am thoughts questioning a variety of aspects in your life. You’ll start thinking about your life before this moment, and chances are, you’re going to think about home and the people you grew up with. Homesickness affects everyone, whether you’re 20 minutes away from campus or a 3 hour flight away. “Distance makes the heart grow fonder” is truly applicable, when you’ve been used to seeing your family at dinner everyday, to seeing them only on weekends or school breaks. Please treasure every moment with them, and when you’re not with them, make sure they know that they’re in your thoughts.

5. They unconditionally love you.

No matter how close you are to your friends, no one will ever be there for you more than your family. They’ve raised you and watched you grow up to be the person you are today. They’ve definitely seen you at your lowest and highest points throughout your life. Despite the conflicts, arguments, slamming of doors, and silence, your family loves you for everything you are and will be. Regardless of how you’ve grown up, you really wouldn’t be where you are today without their sacrifices to see you succeed in your future endeavors. Don’t EVER let them forget that you love them.

Alyssa is from Southern California and has family in Hawaii. When she's not eating, studying, or volunteering, she is watching horror movies or baking.