This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Ready to become a proud plant parent but don’t know where to start? Here, I have 5 of the best, most prolific, and easiest to care for house plants to help spark your green thumb.

Pothos

Also known as the Devil’s Ivy, these fast-growing plants will amaze you with their long vines and abundant leaves. Water them only every 1 to 2 weeks to see a bomb of happy green leaves explode. Look for these at local plant stores like Ravenna Garden’s in U-Ville!

Jade Plants

I have had my jade plant for YEARS and have neglected it for several months, though it never seems to die. These strong plants are great for those of us that can’t seem to remember watering day. Water bi-weekly but don’t expect fast growth! These plants thrive in most any lighting and are the perfect edition for any dorm room.

Snake Plants

Don’t be scared, they won’t bite! These gorgeous plants are the perfect plants for those of us without a lot of natural sunlight. Snake plants thrive in all light types and require minimal watering. Look for one of these beauties next time you’re at Urban Earth Nursery in Seattle!

Aloe Vera Plant

Are you a sun lover? Then an aloe vera plant would be the perfect plant for you! Aloe plants not only heal the skin but will help purify the air around you. That’s a win-win for me! These plants are simple to take care of needing average sunlight and minimal watering.

Spider Plant

These plants are hanging basket’s best friends! Put a spider plant in a beautiful hanging basket in your space with average sunlight and see your plant thrive. Keeping a spider plant’s soil moist will allow it to grow endlessly.

Emily Flones

Washington '24

Hi! I'm a junior at the University of Washington working towards a Biology degree with a Bioethic's Minor! I hope to one day work as a pediatrician in the greater Seattle area! In my free time, I love reading and playing my Nintendo Switch!