5 “Girl Dates” for you and your Bestie!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Often times as Collegiates we can become so wrapped up in school, work and our hectic social obligations that it becomes difficult to make time for our friends. Of course you find time to study with your girl friend from your physics class, or grab coffee with your best friends but real live “friend dates” are easy to neglect. Your friendships are important and with finals rapidly approaching you deserve a “Girls’ Night “or “Girls’ Day” with your core group of friends to relax (it is mental health month after all). Friend time is therapeutic isn’t it? A night out with my besties always brings me back to Middle School when my favorite social activity was Friday night sleepovers. There’s something about gathering together your closest female friends and spending the evening (or afternoon) gossiping, sharing secrets and catching up. Seattle offers a plethora of entertaining and unconventional activities that are sure to provide entertainment for you and your best friends!

1. “Paint the Town” Ceramics

Whether you’re a visual arts major or have a tendency to mess up stick figures, painting ceramics can be a great creative outlet. Ceramics studios offer a variety of items to decorate from mugs to picture frames to piggy banks, and a wide array of paint colors, stencils and unique techniques (my personal favorite is the lace technique). Weekends tend to be a bit busy as families flock to the studio with small children, however week nights offer smaller crowds and fantastic discounts (perfect for the BFFs on a budget). Friday nights cater specifically to college students, who receive 15% off with a valid student ID. At Paint the Town you can easily catch up with friends in a creativity fueled social environment.

2. Salsa Dancing

Century Ballroom on Capitol Hill attracts dancers of all ages and experience levels on Friday nights for Salsa classes and free style dancing. If you’re interested in learning to salsa drop in classes are offered for  $15 and are followed by an evening of free for all dancing to allow students to practice. If you’re not interested in learning the specific techniques but are still hoping to spend the evening twirling and sashaying across the dance floor you can drop in after the lesson for a reduced fee ($8). It is not necessary to bring a dance partner as there are many eligible dancers available and readily willing to help you learn. If you find yourself energized after your red hot salsa lesson, Capitol Hill offers plenty of nightlife opportunities for you and your girls as a post salsa after party!

3. “Canvas!” Paint & Sip

For collegiates of legal drinking age trendy new studios like “Canvas!” give patrons the opportunity to replicate their favorite paintings while socializing and enjoying your choice of beer, wine, or champagne. Class prices range from $25-$45 depending on the session and painting, however at the end of class you will leave with your own beautifully unique painting to hang in your apartment or dorm (it also makes a great gift for Mom and Dad). The online calendar system displays paintings available for the next month so you can sign up to replicate the painting that is of most interest to you and your BFF. It is best to schedule your painting date ahead of time as these funky classes fill up quickly!

4. “WASUP” Paddle Board Yoga

If you and your Bestie are feeling adventurous (and don’t mind the possibility of getting a little wet) paddleboard yoga is a perfect way to spend a warm summer morning or afternoon. WASUP Yoga, located in Ballard, offers adventurists a unique way to stay fit and connect with nature. Each class is roughly two hours long and caters to all ability levels, you’re bestie is an experienced yogi but you can barely handle “downward dog” you can feel confident knowing you aren’t expected have mastered the art (yet). A single class costs $30 but less expensive rates are available often via websites like Groupon and Livingsocial, and class packages offer discounted prices.

5. High Tea at The Queen Mary

Was your bestie all over the royal wedding? Does she daydream of trading places with Princess Kate? Or does she simply just appreciate a nice cup of Lavender tea? If you’re craving a fun new dining experience, high tea must be incorporated into any girly girl best friend date. High Tea is offered Wednesday through Sunday and often requires a reservation (especially for larger groups). You can expect to be treated like a proper princess as tea is served in mismatched china, and love birds greet you in the tea room’s entry way. Tea sandwiches, fresh fruit and pastries are served alongside your favorite beverage (be it tea, coffee or champagne) and each meal begins with sorbet. Queen Mary’s is positively lovely and radiates feminine charm. The dress code is casual and informal but allows a fun opportunity to dress up in your favorite tea party attire (making your inner five year old insanely proud) Make sure to polish your tiara and throw on your best tutu (and of course bring a camera)!

Jordyn is a history major, nanny and creative writing enthusiast. She spends her free time frolicking through fields of daisies, consuming copious amounts of iced mochas and blogging for her personal blog The Fairy Princess Diaries.