5 British Artists to Jam Out to This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Limited sunshine, colder weather and getting back to the grind after Christmas break…winter quarter can be pretty tough. Feeling like you need more motivation to keep going or even just to get up in the morning? Here are the 5 British artists who you’ll be listening to on repeat all winter. 

James Arthur

A boy with a Cinderella story who literally knows the ups and downs

James Arthur won the ninth series of the X factor and became the most successful male solo singer in the show’s history. His debut single “Impossible” in 2012 and “Say You Won’t Let Go” in 2016 both reached #1 on the UK singles chart. Despite the memorable success story, he has struggled with drugs, anxiety and depression, as well as criticism caused by his controversial public comments in 2013. His songs are so full of emotion that you feel like they were written for you.

“You aren’t going become positive if you always say negative things. Try saying”I am going to do that”,”I am so lucky””I always try to get things right”. Can you hear how much better that sounds?” — James Arthur

James Bay

A truly talented British John Mayer

James Bay is a singer-songwriter and guitarist, who won the Best British Male Solo Artist at the Brit Awards in 2016 and received 3 nominations including the Best New Artist at the 2016 Grammy Awards. He is known for his trademark wide-brimmed hat and long dark hair along with his soulful voice and the tender touch of guitar. The sound of his music sinks into your soul.

“I’m trying to make songs that make people feel something and, if I’m lucky, even move them.” — James Bay

Jamie Cullum

A wild kid gifted with the magic of Jazz

Jamie Cullum is the most successful Brit jazz artist with 1 Grammy Awards, 2 Golden Globe Awards, 3 Brit Awards and picked up countless other nominations along the way. He is a casual genius who simply enjoys the world of music. The boldness and freeness that his pieces have may even make you break into a smile as you listen. He surely knows how to turn any sound into a perfect melody.  

“My pure love is playing music.” — Jamie Cullum

Jamie Lawson

A shy and humble street musician

Jamie Lawson is a singer-songwriter and musician, known for being the first artist to be signed by Ed Sheeran’s new record label, Gingerbread Man Records. His performance career has lasted over 20 years now, most of which had been at the local level, such as pubs and bars, until the single “Wasn’t Expecting That”, re-released in 2015 launched him to national and global popularity. The shyness and humility that shine through his music make him feel like the boy next door – who just happens to be topping the charts.

“Because of ‘Wasn’t Expecting That’, I’ve had a lot of people come up to me and say how I’ve written their lives or their grandparents’ lives. It means the world to me that I helped in the tiniest way.” — Jamie Lawson

Jamie Scott

A master of song writing with a swoon-worthy voice

Jamie Scott is a singer-songwriter and producer who has worked with numbers of famous artists including One Direction and Birdy. Although his musical talents can be seen in those variety of songs he has written (one of which is “Cold Water” recorded by Major Lazer, featuring Justin Bieber and MØ), his solo albums show his personality and make you want to know more about him as an artist. The music he produces tells beautiful life stories and would cheer you up to be confident about yourself once again.

“You need to know that somebody’s there all the time.” — Jamie Scott

These five British artists are perfect for study session playlists, listening to on the way to class, falling asleep to, or playing in the background the next time you’re hanging out with friends.