The 5 Best Soups to Keep You Cozy This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Anyone who knows me knows that I love food—specifically soup. Soup is a versatile food that reflects different cultures! It’s simple to make, and there are so many different types, for all different tastes. Soup is everywhere—even the staple meal of college is the ramen noodle! Just on the Ave at the University of Washington, there are five different pho places that are completely filled every single evening with pho-loving huskies. It’s a meal that hits the spot for anyone after a long day of studying and being a college student.

With fall upon us, soup makes a great meal for you to cozy up with on a windy afternoon with your midterms. The flavors of fall blend together perfectly to create so many different soups, each fantastic to have in the chilly weather under the changing colors of fall. The beauty in all these soups is that I can’t summarize in a few sentences how great they are! Each has hundreds of different variations. One spice or a change in base can alter the whole thing in a magical way. Whether you’re ready to experiment in the kitchen or just want something new to order at your favorite restaurant, here are my top 5 best soups for the fall season:

French Onion

The French Onion Soup is an elegant autumn soup. It’s filled with the different textures of the caramelized onions, the melted cheese that you can pull for miles, and the broth-soaked bread that melts in your mouth. There are so many different variations of the French Onion—simply just looking up a recipe online there are different debates about how the deep the onions should be cooked! Try it sometime for yourself and have your own opinion.

Tomato Basil

One of my favorites is the Tomato soup. In the heat of summer, it’s delicious as the Spanish chilled Gazpacho. In the fall, all warmed up, tomato soup can morph into any kind of soup you want. For us Seattleites, getting sick sometimes is the easiest thing. I got sick one week into college. Luckily, tomatoes provide us with so many vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin A and C, potassium, selenium, and copper. Add in some other vegetables, and maybe some meat, and you’ve got a great source of protein and nutrition for the sun-less season ahead!  

Butternut Squash 

Pretty obvious, I know. There is nothing more “fall” than butternut squash! Even the color is an uncanny resemblance of autumn. However, aside from the total irony of squash in the fall, butternut squash soup is actually delicious, and a great source for nutrition. In fact, one cup of butternut squash contains over 350% of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin A!

Chicken and Gnocchi

Yes, like the one in Olive Garden. It’s delicious! This soup is super creamy, intense, full of flavor, and bound to leave you full. After this, you’ll be ready for one of those deep naps that make you think you’ve hibernated through the entire fall and winter.

Ginger and Carrot

Another healthy choice, but one of my absolute favorites! With some sour cream or even a lime crema, this bright and tangy soup is a wonderful way to stay healthy and stay out of that seasonal depression our Seattle fall brings onto us. It’s also a vegan favorite for those who are tired of soups having all the animal products you can think of!

Happy fall—and don’t forget to try a new soup once in a while! You’d be surprised what a couple vegetables and some broth can come together to make. 

Honorable mentions go to the Chicken Tortilla, Clam Chowder, and the classic Chicken Noodle Soup.

Lena Abovskiy

Washington '22

Lena is Campus Correspondent for HerCampus at the University of Washington! In her free time she enjoys attending concerts, going out to eat with friends, napping, and exploring the city.