4 HBO Heroines That Are Inspiring AF

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

As college students, we all love a good binge-watching session—and we all know that HBO series are the most addicting of all. From the dystopian to the suspenseful to hilarious, the variety of HBO shows means everyone can find a new favorite tv show. Whether you host a weekly hangout with friends to watch the latest Game of Thrones episode or unwind after a long week by rewatching Girls. But the best part? HBO has been killing the game with the strong female leads in its shows. These women are strong, complex, and totally inspiring—not stereotypes or damsels in distress. Check out these four HBO heroines who take charge of their own stories and will totally inspire you while they’re at it.

1. Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones

Photo courtesy of HBO

The fact that she’s called “Mother of Dragons” should tell you everything you need to know about Daenerys—aka that she’s a badass. On Game of Thrones, we see Daenerys transform from a political pawn to a power player, becoming truly a force to be reckoned with in the cutthroat world of Westeros. Her strength and grit, brought to life beautifully by actress Emilia Clarke, never waver in her quest to reclaim the Iron Throne, and allow her to defy all those who doubt her. In short: this is not a girl you want to mess with.

2. Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City

Photo courtesy of HBO

Sex and the City’s starring columnist is unabashedly feminine and unapologetically honest. While her romantic adventures and eventual love story feature prominently in most of the show, make no mistake—Carrie Bradshaw is a strong and independent woman, and no man could ever tame her or her iconic mane of curls. Carrie is optimistic but realistic about her career, the complicated course of true love, and the breakneck pace of New York life, and her steadfast female friendships are truly #squadgoals. When crafting “strong female characters,” creators often confuse “strong” with “tough,” but Carrie is (fictional) living proof that having a soft side doesn’t make a woman any less strong.

3. Selina Meyer from Veep

Photo courtesy of HBO

Selina Meyer doesn’t just demand respect as Vice President, then (spoiler) President of the United States; she demands it as a smart, capable, ambitious woman. Amid the chaos and politics of Washington D.C., Selina is passionate, driven, and fearless when it comes to fighting for what she believes in—and the American people. She’s no figurehead; instead, she’s a politician trying to actually get sh*t done despite sexism, bureaucracy, and red tape. Selina isn’t content to settle for the status quo; she changes how the game is played.

4. Issa Dee from Insecure

Photo courtesy of HBO

Insecure, starring Issa Rae as its titular character Issa Dee, has changed the conversation of what it means to be a woman forging her own path in the world. What doesn’t this show—and Issa—do? Insecure has tackled issues of career, growing up, struggling to find “the one,” and discovering yourself, but most importantly it does so through Issa and her best friend Molly’s experiences as black women. This show doesn’t shy away from exploring current social issues, and Issa portrays grace and conviction even when faced with some uncomfortable and unfair situations. Throughout the series, Issa has her ups and downs, triumphs and struggles, but her most endearing character trait is simply that: her humanity. In Issa and Insecure, we meet a heroine that is not only aspirational, but deeply relatable—a real girl just trying to find her way and herself.

While you may not literally be a medieval war queen or the vice president, these HBO heroines are still characters you can see yourself in—and find inspiration in as well. See if HBO GO is offered on your college campus or check out their special student discount for HBO NOW to get more of these leading ladies in your life.

Hannah is a senior studying marketing and English at the University of Washington and is the Editor of the UW Her Campus chapter. She was also a Summer 2017 editorial intern for Her Campus Media. When not editing, writing, or pitching articles, she's probably at brunch.