4 Easy Ways You Can Be More Environmentally Friendly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Not to be a doomsday sayer, but the world is clearly in some major trouble. According to a New York Times article written by Coral Davenport in 2015, the world has to reach its peak of carbon emissions by 2025 and then cut said emissions IN HALF by 2050 in order to prevent our world from becoming uninhabitable.

So in order to prevent a future in which we all live in bunkers in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, we should probably start doing something.

Here’s a few ideas for ways you can start making a difference, because everything we do, no matter how small, does add up. 

1. GET INVOLVED

There are so many wonderful organizations on campus here at the UW! Among them are the Green Greeks and EcoReps at the University of Washington. Green Greeks is, naturally, focused on reforming the Greek Community to be more environmentally friendly. It is open to all UW students, but works exclusively in the Greek Community. They have made huge strides since they were founded by Talia Haller, and are already projected to save the Greek Community over $500,000 in the next five years! EcoReps at UW do some wonderful work along with the UW Sustainability Office. Check out their Project Development Page in the link above!

2. CUT BACK

The United States is the second worst carbon polluter in the world, only after China (although we release more carbon emissions per person). This is the direct result of our consumer lifestyle. Every time we order something online, or even if we buy it in the store, behind most products is a procedure that our world cannot sustain. Of course, we all fall prey to wanting to buy something, even if we don’t need it or know it’s not environmentally sustainable. But next time you find yourself wanting to buy something, perhaps considering the consequences will make you think twice. For more ways to cut back, here’s an ecological footprint calculator to help you figure out the least environmentally friendly parts of your individual lifestyle. Another, simpler, way to cut back is simply riding the bus or a bike, both of which are cost effective and many UW students do already.

3. CONSIDER NATURAL ALTERNATIVES

Seattle is filled to the brim with alternative shops and environmentally sustainable businesses. Next time you find yourself about to buy something, research sustainable alternatives first (ex. bamboo toothbrush, bamboo or organic cotton clothing, reusable or compostable versions, etc.) and find out if there’s an alternative that suits your needs.

4. LEARN HOW TO RECYCLE/COMPOST

This is a surprisingly large issue. For example, if compost is thrown into a trash dump, it will release methane upon decomposition that gets trapped beneath the surface and can have disastrous consequences, and every time garbage or recycling is thrown in with the compost, the whole bag is thrown straight into the garbage once it gets to the facility. Here’s a comprehensive guide to recycling and composting in Seattle! 

“Going green” can seem like an intimidating task to tackle, but start small—you’ll be surprised how big a difference these little changes can make.

I am an out-of-state student from the San Francisco Bay Area. I am a Business major, passionate about the environment, and have a desire to spread knowledge. SK PC 17.