This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Living in the UW dorms, I have found myself feeling stuck in a similar routine day after day. I go to the same places to eat on the weekends. I do the same workout regimen at the gym. Sometimes, it can feel like my life revolves around being on campus. Recently, I have been making an effort to get out and explore Seattle more. Here are three ideas for how to get off campus for a bit!

1. Attend a pro-sports game

Seattle has a variety of professional sports teams that you can see for reasonable prices! Attending a Sounders game will definitely be one way to see some passionate fans. In the general admission section, they require fans to stand, wave flags, and cheer the entire game. If that isn’t dedication, I’m not sure what is. If soccer is not your thing, the Mariner’s Baseball team also plays a lot throughout the spring quarter. You can often find tickets as cheap as $15 to sit up high in the seats. Listening to the crowd, enjoying a hot dog or some nachos, and getting the vibe of the stadium overall is a great way to experience life outside of campus. 

2. explore new RESTAURANTS

Neighborhoods like Eastlake and Ballard often have little restaurants that you may never think to go to until you get out! Eastlake Avenue is filled with a variety of restaurants and bars, including Otter’s Bar and Burger, the Zoo Tavern, and 14 Carrot Cafe. A bus ride to this area from campus would take less than 20 minutes, and you would have a variety of choices for a meal. 

3. Take walks

Seattle has a lot of natural beauty hidden in the busy city. Taking a walk in a new area, especially this time of year, is a great way to see all the flowers blooming. Recently, a friend and I took a 15-minute bus ride to the Arboretum. The Arboretum is about a mile from campus and packed with walking trails between blooming trees and ferns. Leaving, we walked through the Montlake neighborhood which was packed with cute houses that I would have never thought to explore without getting off my traditional campus walks.

Ultimately, exploring outside of the University of Washington campus is a great way to acclimate to the Seattle lifestyle while also having fun. With public transportation, changing your traditional routine is super easy and good for your mindset.

Ella Cuneo

Washington '26

Ella is a first year hoping to study psychology and communications at the University of Washington. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, Ella loves to listen to music, create and hangout with friends!