This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Oscars season has finally arrived this year! Despite a year of movie theaters with limited attendance and the lack of major studio releases, the 2021 nominations represent a diverse range of films, actors/actresses, directors, and more. However, the two aren’t necessarily related – unlike the HFPA (the Golden Globes voting organization recently called out for having zero Black members in its ranks), the Academy seems to have genuinely made an effort to diversify and expand its members since the #OscarsSoWhite controversy. Perhaps the strides taken to redefine Hollywood will not be an anomaly of COVID, but a sign of greater improvements to come. Below are 11 incredible, must-watch Oscar-nominated films (in no particular order) that genuinely represent the best of cinema!

Promising Young Woman

Summary

A revenge thriller (and director Emerald Fennell’s debut film) about a medical school dropout named Cassie (Carey Mulligan) seeking to right the wrongs committed against women by predatory men, one target at a time. Moreover, the film examines the danger of having vengeance consume oneself, no matter how monstrous the enemy.

My Favorite Aspects

– Watching Carey Mulligan as Cassie deliver justice is so satisfying, along with the dark humor Emerald Fennell injects into the script. The serious themes and humor are generally balanced well (a lot of credit goes to Carey Mulligan for her phenomenal acting), resulting in a fun, yet deeply meaningful experience.

– The songs that accompany several scenes convey the tone of the film perfectly. If you liked this film, the show Killing Eve captures a very similar feeling (Fennell was the showrunner for the second season)!

– There are so many beautiful shots in the film, complemented by the production design and candy-like color palette.

Nominated for: Best Picture, Best Director – Emerald Fennell, Best Original Screenplay, Best Actress – Carey Mulligan, Best Film Editing

Where to Watch: Not currently free on any streaming services.

Another Round

Summary

Directed by Danish filmmaker Thomas Vinterberg, Another Round introduces four teachers, including Martin (Mads Mikkelsen), who begins consistently drinking to test the theory that humans are born with a BAC 0.05% too low. The premise gives the appearance of a morality tale about alcoholism or even a light buddy comedy; rather, Another Round contains a poignant and timely message of rediscovering the joy in life.

My Favorite Aspects

– Mads Mikkelsen’s acting is so good. He plays the downtrodden Martin at the beginning of the film brilliantly, causing the audience to empathize with him immediately. American audiences generally know Mikkelsen for his villainous roles (Casino Royale, Hannibal, Doctor Strange), but Another Round is a great chance for us to see him flex both his dramatic and comedic skills.

– Thomas Vinterberg captures drunkenness very well – as the teachers experiment with different BAC levels, the way the camera glides around and the length of the shots make the audience feel like they’re intoxicated as well.

– *Potential spoiler* The last scene might be my favorite ending to a film that I’ve ever seen.

Nominated for: Best Director – Thomas Vinterberg, Best International Feature Film

Where to Watch: Hulu

Nomadland

Summary

A tour-de-force of directing (Chloe Zhao) and acting, Nomadland documents the journey of a woman named Fern (Frances McDormand) who has lost both her job and hometown. She decides to travel around the US in a van while looking for seasonal work and meeting other nomads, nearly all of which are playing fictionalized versions of themselves. The film is an eye-opening experience: it’s a rumination on grief, the definition of home, and the so-called American Dream.

My Favorite Aspects

– Frances McDormand captures Fern perfectly. There are so many subtle facets to her character, often conveyed simply by a smile or a gesture. Even if you can’t relate to Fern’s experience, you can still empathize with her grief.

– Nomadland looks and feels magnificent. All the landscapes are shot beautifully (and respectfully).

– It’s lovely to see the real-life nomads sharing their stories, again underscoring the different realities that many Americans face that the audience may not be aware of.

Nominated for: Best Picture, Best Director – Chloe Zhao, Best Actress – Frances McDormand, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing

Where to watch: Hulu

Sound of Metal

Summary

The film introduces us to Ruben (Riz Ahmed), a heavy metal drummer who discovers that he is quickly losing his hearing. The standout of the film is Ahmed, who gives a memorable performance of a man whose life has been changed in a fundamental way.

My Favorite Aspects

– The sound design of the film is perfectly executed, bringing the audience further into Ruben’s experience of deafness.

– Sound of Metal is best when we get to sit and contemplate with Ruben’s own emotions. It’s impossible not to feel alienated, terrified, and disoriented as a result of Riz Ahmed’s engrossing performance.

Nominated for: Best Picture, Best Actor – Riz Ahmed, Best Supporting Actor – Paul Raci, Best Original Screenplay, Best Film Editing, Best Sound

Where to watch: Amazon Prime Video

One Night In Miami…

Summary

The film (Regina King’s directorial debut) depicts a meeting between four prominent Black American figures in February 1964: Malcolm X (Kingsley Ben-Adir), Cassius Clay (Eli Goree), Jim Brown (Aldis Hodge), and Sam Cooke (Leslie Odom Jr.). One Night in Miami… renders a detailed, nuanced portrait of the ideologies and personalities of these larger-than-life men at a pivotal moment in their lives, and in the Civil Rights Movement itself.

My Favorite Aspects

– One Night in Miami… captures the four men in a way I’ve never seen before: Malcolm X’s underlying sadness, Cassius Clay’s uncertainty surrounding conversion, Sam Cooke’s range from anger to pure joy, and Jim Brown’s practicality and humanity.

– The film encourages you to sit back and listen to the conversations between each of the characters, which tackle a wide range of Black issues.

– Leslie Odom Jr.’s performance as Sam Cooke is fantastic. The role allows him to show off his singing skills, along with all our favorite Sam Cooke songs.

Nominated for: Best Supporting Actor – Leslie Odom Jr., Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Original Song

Where to Watch: Amazon Prime Video

Minari

Summary

Minari is a semi-autobiographical film by Lee Isaac Chung detailing the journey of the Yi family, Korean immigrants who have just moved from California to Arkansas. Jacob (Steven Yuen), the father, yearns to become self-sufficient by creating his own farm on the family’s new plot of land. However, Jacob’s pursuit places him in constant conflict with his family’s stability. Ultimately, the film presents a unique look at the immigrant experience and affirms the resilience of family.

My Favorite Aspects

– So much of the praise has to go to Lee Isaac Chung’s immersive and beautiful directing style. Additionally, the score by Emile Mosseri constantly pulls at your heartstrings (there is no way you’ll watch this film without shedding tears).

– The acting nominations for Steven Yuen and Yoon Yuh-jung are very well-deserved. Yuh-jung comes closest to stealing the show as the family’s eccentric, lovable grandma.

– Even though Minari’s scenes often include rituals specific to Lee Isaac Chung’s experience, many of us will be reminded of our own emotions and memories of growing up.

Nominated for: Best Picture, Best Director – Lee Isaac Chung, Best Original Screenplay, Best Actor – Steven Yuen, Best Supporting Actress – Yoon Yuh-jung, Best Original Score

Where to Watch: Not currently free on any streaming services

Judas and the Black Messiah

Summary

At first glance, Judas and the Black Messiah is a film about Bill O’Neal’s (Lakeith Stanfield) infiltration of the Illinois Black Panther Party and its leader Fred Hampton (Daniel Kaluuya) at the behest of the FBI. However, the film more deeply explores the concept of revolution itself: the moral shades of grey, the push and pull of radicalism, and the unceasing violence of the opposition. The audience eventually witnesses the true Judas – a country devoted to “justice”, yet willing to oppress and betray its citizens to uphold the established order.

My Favorite Aspects

– The solid performances by Stanfield and Kaluuya alone make Judas and the Black Messiah worth watching. It almost doesn’t feel like a movie at all; rather, you feel like a reluctant passenger driven along by the events that follow.

– Despite taking place almost 60 years ago, the relevance of Judas to current events makes watching this film necessary. Even as you’re watching the film, it’s hard to forget that the ramifications of the government’s actions and the Black Power movement are still felt to this day.

Nominated for: Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor – Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield, Best Original Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Original Song

Where to watch: Not currently free on any streaming services

Soul

Summary

The latest Pixar film by Pete Doctor follows a jazz musician and middle school music teacher named Joe (voiced by Jamie Foxx) who gets caught between life and death as his soul becomes separated from his body. The film’s message was surprising and seemingly geared more towards adults than children: finding one’s spark for life may not necessarily lie in passion, but in the small pleasures.

My Favorite Aspects

– Again, Soul feels like it was pitched more for adults than children – both Joe and 22 experience feelings of uncertainty about life and passion that many college students and middle-aged adults can relate to.

– The creativity in character design, world-building, and music in the Great Beyond stands out and keeps you thinking even after the movie ends.

– The animation and design of New York is breathtaking and makes you miss the hustle bustle of cities and spontaneous socialization.

Nominated for: Best Animated Feature, Best Original Score, Best Sound

Where to Watch: Disney+

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Summary

The film, directed by George C. Wolfe, dramatizes a recording session for Ma Rainey, the acclaimed “Mother of the Blues” (Viola Davis). We also get to know her band members, which includes the layered, ambitious trumpeter Levee Green (Chadwick Boseman). Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom calls out the clear exploitation and racism imposed upon Black artists throughout American history and delves into Black culture, religion, and artistry.  

My Favorite Aspects

– The script opens the door for meaningful, emotional monologues, allowing for Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman to amplify the countless injustices that have been inflicted upon African Americans.

– Chadwick Boseman acts brilliantly with his entire body, with a blinding rage at times and with trembling grief at others. His final performance, especially one of his monologues, leaves you with an undeniable sadness.

– Viola Davis’ as Ma Rainey presence is purposeful and unapologetic, and perhaps more importantly, not flawless. As a result, the audience is able to witness her character truly come to life on the screen.

Nominated for: Best Actor – Chadwick Boseman, Best Actress – Viola Davis, Best Costume Design, Best Makeup and Hairstyling, Best Production Design

Where to Watch: Netflix

Da 5 Bloods

Summary

Da 5 Bloods is the latest film by Spike Lee, following a squad of Black Vietnam War veterans as they return to Vietnam in search of gold they buried during the war, as well as to find the remains of their fallen leader Stormin’ Norman (Chadwick Boseman). The film is anchored by Delroy Lindo, Clarke Peters, Norm Lewis, and Isiah Whitlock Jr., who play Paul, Otis, Eddie, and Melvin, respectively. Da 5 Bloods successfully weaves in the lines of past and present to create a cohesive theme of trauma and corrupt power.

My Favorite Aspects

– The film is undoubtedly the work of Spike Lee, featuring many of his signature filmmaking techniques. Da 5 Bloods is also wonderfully clever and funny, while still highlighting the significance of current events.

– In my opinion, Delroy Lindo’s performance deserved an Oscar nomination, as a confident, yet haunted veteran.

– Terence Blanchard’s score feels like distinctive work of music yet also evocative of a classic adventure movie: memorable, riotous, and terrifying at times. The film also features many songs from Marvin Gaye’s iconic album What’s Going On, loudly echoing the injustices committed during the Vietnam War throughout.

Nominated for: Best Original Score

Where to Watch: Netflix

Mank

Summary

Directed by David Fincher, Mank is a dramatization of the story behind what is often considered to be the greatest movie ever: Citizen Kane. Herman Mankiewicz (Gary Oldman), the brilliant, yet troubled screenwriter hurries to finish the first draft at the behest of wunderkind Orson Welles. While doing so, the audience learns more about the real-life industry bigwigs that inspired Kane, as well as the darker truths lurking beneath the romanticized glitz and glamor of 1930s Hollywood.

My Favorite Aspects

– The production design, costume design, and makeup/hairstyling look stunning in the film, especially when rendered in soft black and white. You can immediately feel yourself getting pulled into the dazzling world of movie stars and newspapermen when the film begins.

– Amanda Seyfried gives one of the movie’s best performances as Marion Davies, the real-life Hollywood actress who inspired the character of Susan Alexander Kane in Citizen Kane. Seyfried brings a new dimension to Davies as a woman who hides her quick wit underneath frivolity.

– Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross return as long-time Fincher collaborators, however leaving behind their electronic style for a melodic, contemplative, and occasionally fast-paced style evocative of 1940s films.

Nominated for: Best Picture, Best Director – David Fincher, Best Actor – Gary Oldman, Best Supporting Actress – Amanda Seyfried, Best Original Score, Best Sound, Best Cinematography, Best Production Design, Best Costume Design, Best Makeup and Hairstyling.

Where to Watch: Netflix

Kerri Lee

Washington '22

Kerri is a senior studying Computer Science. When not writing for Her Campus, she can either be found watching TV or asleep (there's no in-between).