The 11 Best Thanksgiving Episodes on TV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Seattle seems to have forgotten about Thanksgiving by blessing us with snow (although no cancelled classes) on Friday, but it’s definitely Turkey Season and what better way to prepare than to watch some Thanksgiving episodes from your favorite TV Shows?

We’ved ranked 10 of the best Thanksgiving episodes shows have graced us with to kickstart the holidays:

11. GREY’S ANATOMY: “THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES”

As you may know, Grey’s Anatomy is a show that tugs on your heartstrings nonstop—what else would you expect from a show infamous for heartlessly killing the majority of its main characters? In this episode of Grey’s Anatomy, Meredith goes to the hospital, George’s dad and brothers take him to hunt for a turkey, Cristina and Burke are in an awkward situation, no one knows what Alex is thinking, Derek and Addison try to reconnect, and Izzie just wants one day where they can be like everybody else—to be normal and celebrate a holiday without being at Seattle Grace. This is an episode of learning to make sacrifices and how to deal with uncomfortable situations. Consider inviting Shonda Rhimes to your Thanksgiving feast and thank her for the memories that she’s created for us with Grey’s Anatomy.

10. A CHARLIE BROWN THANKSGIVING 

Want to go a little more classic this Thanksgiving season? Then watch your childhood favorite: A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving! It’s very likely that long ago when you weren’t tall enough to ride some Disneyland roller coasters yet, you were in class when your third grade teacher rolled that small black TV on a cart into the classroom and announced that you all were going to watch A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. It’s time to revisit an era of no worries in life other than making it home in time before that Arthur episode ends. Maybe even cook up your own feast of buttered toast, jellybeans, pretzel sticks, and popcorn. Honestly, their Thanksgiving predicted college life Thanksgiving.

9. FRESH OFF THE BOAT: “NO-THANKS GIVING”

Have you always felt like Thanksgiving is a holiday that celebrates taking everything from someone and treating them terribly? Then Fresh Off the Boat’s No-Thanks Giving is for you! Jessica refuses to celebrate Thanksgiving because her meals are never appreciated by her family, and since their ancestors weren’t a part of the original pilgrimage, why celebrate a holiday that doesn’t mean something to the family? Tiger-mom Jessica decides that instead, everyone will be working at Cattleman’s this Thanksgiving with normal pay. Will she have a holiday change of heart? Find out in this episode of Fresh Off the Boat!

8. NEW GIRL: “THANKSGIVING”

Have you always wanted to see Zooey Deschanel dressed up as a turkey? Your wish comes true in the first five seconds of this New Girl episode. Dubbed the “least sexy holiday”, watch our favorite four roommates struggle through this holiday with each other. They definitely have a memorable Thanksgiving with Cece and Schmidt’s attempt at making Thanksgiving sexy, a dead body and a turkey in the washing machine. (By the way, they named the turkey Hank.)

7. BOB’S BURGERS: “GAYLE MAKIN’ BOB SLED”

Bob and Thanksgiving sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G. That’s how much Bob Belcher loves Thanksgiving. Just like how it snowed in Seattle on Friday, this Bob’s Burgers episode is filled with snow on Thanksgiving Day. Bob has a mission to pick up Gayle from her house after she’s sprained her ankle and can’t make it to the Belchers’ on her own while the rest of the family do their best to save the turkey by doing surgery on it. Everyone knows the relationship between Bob and Gayle is tricky, but in this episode, Bob learns the true spirit of Thanksgiving as he and Gayle adventure their way back home. The Belcher’s Thanksgiving is as quirky as their personalities.

6. FULL HOUSE: “THE MIRACLE OF THANKSGIVING”

You won’t be able to stop laughing as three grown men attempt to tackle making a Thanksgiving feast in this sitcom classic. Bob, Jesse, and Joey do their best to make this holiday a memorable one for the three young girls. Through trial and error, this is a truly 90’s episode about the meaning of gratitude, appreciation, and family. 

5. MODERN FAMILY: “THREE TURKEYS”

Phil Dunphy is in charge of cooking for Thanksgiving this year—what could go wrong? Not that Claire doesn’t fully trust Phil to do a good job, but she does have a backup turkey just in case. Jay and Gloria attempt to have one holiday away from the family as they hide in their home, claiming to be in Mexico, while Mitchell and Cameron try to teach Lily that she can’t always have everything she wants. Join our favorite dysfunctional family in their efforts to have yet another amazing Thanksgiving.

4. GOSSIP GIRL: “BLAIR WALDORF MUST PIE!”

Who hasn’t daydreamed of a Thanksgiving in NYC, aka one of the most magical cities to be in during the holiday season? But alas, most of us have to live vicariously through the characters of Gossip Girl. Thanksgiving is a holiday infamous for bringing back family and friend feuds and this episode’s Thanksgiving is no exception. Serena, Blair, Dan, and Nate all have their own family issues, but despite all the drama, they come together in the end with a better understanding of each other. Oh, and did I mention there’s pie?

3. HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER: “SLAPSGIVING”

Thanksgiving what? Friendsgiving who? It’s time for a new holiday: Slapsgiving. Invented by Marshall Erickson, it’s a day set aside once a year to gather together to give slaps. In this hilarious episode of How I Met Your Mother, you can almost feel Barney’s sweat dripping through your computer screen as he stresses out about being slapped by Marshall. Along with the Slap Bet, Ted and Robin have broken up and they show how difficult it is to stay friends with your exes, no matter how hard you try. Will they manage to save their friendship? More importantly, will Barney get slapped? Find out in this classic episode. Filled with slapping puns and lessons on friendship, watch the first Thanksgiving that our relatable friend group spends together.

2. GILMORE GIRLS: “A DEEP FRIED KOREAN THANKSGIVING”

With four Thanksgiving feasts to attend, will this be Lorelai and Rory’s finest hour—or final hour? Join our favorite mother-daughter duo as they battle through tofurkey, a deep fried turkey, and family drama at home. This is an episode filled with quirky and quick banter as usual, as well as the warmth feeling of a stronger bond between family. Good thing they can at least walk home together with a bag of bread rolls together to end the day before slipping into a food coma. Honestly, they’re living the Thanksgiving dream.

1. FRIENDS: “THE ONE WITH ALL THE THANKSGIVINGS”

What’s a list of Thanksiving sitcom episodes without Friends? Flashback episodes are arguably some of the best Friends episodes to watch. It’s like nostalgia within nostalgia: nostalgia-ception. Each of the six friends tells stories of their own worst Thanksgivings ever, making us feel a little better about our own lives. Watch Friends with your friends during Friendsgiving to start this thankful holiday. Besides, haven’t we all imagined what it’s like to stuff our heads up a turkey’s butt? No?

Happy Turkey Season everyone!