10 PNW Hiking Trails You Can’t Miss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Hey everyone!

Every year, mostly in the spring and summer, I find new hikes to venture on with friends and family. Listed below are some of the PNW’s most popular hikes as well as some of my favorites. 

*Note, the list is not in any particular order of personal favoritism of the such.

1. Bridal Veil Falls – Stevens Pass

This hike is called “Bridal Veil Falls” for how delicate the water looks as cascades from the top. The hike is at an intermediate level since its incline gets pretty steep the higher you go. However, the water and mist feels amazing once you reach the top. Also, the trailhead is connected with the Lake Serene trailhead that is split at a fork.

2. Lake Serene – Stevens Pass

I’ve got to say, this is a tough hike rounding to about 8.2 miles up and down. When I visited, the weather was cloudy; however, the green-blue tinted color of the lake still gleamed throughout the afternoon.

3. Franklin Falls – Snoqualmie Pass

Only 2 miles roundtrip, Franklin Falls is easy if you’re not looking for anything tiring or long. It is perfect for a family hike or for bringing your dog because the trail is very smooth and not rocky. Yet, when reaching the falls, the rocks at the base to cross over can get slippery from the mist so be careful! Pro tip: the closer you get to the falls to take that one good photo, the more wet your phone will get. Peep at the little rainbow to the right!

4. Mason Lake – Snoqualmie Pass

The view as you work your way up to the top is priceless. Evergreen trees, blue skies, mountains, and the overall landscape below as you keep traveling and elevating. It’s at about a 5 mile roundtrip and can get very muddy, so don’t wear your new sneakers! Also, there are areas of no shade throughout the hike so if you plan on going in the summer, I’d recommend lots of sunscreen, maybe a cap, and bug spray!

5. Lake 22 – North Cascades

One of my personal favorite hikes because:

1. It’s gorgeous at sunrise. 

2. The trail allows you to trek around the entire lake

3. It is only 4 miles roundtrip. Not that bad!

6. Mailbox Peak – North Bend Area

This, I must say, is one of the most difficult hikes I’ve been on. I literally had to climb rocks and boulders! It was dangerous getting up and down close to the peak. The elevation is very high at over 4000 feet to the point where I was at the level of clouds, which made me feel nauseous. Ironically enough there is a mailbox at the top where I signed my name (maybe it’s still there).

7. Poo Poo Point – Issaquah Alps

This was the hike I chose when I decided to try a sunset hike; however, the timing was not planned well. I’ve been on this hike twice and the second time I went, I didn’t remember how difficult it was as the incline was pretty steep while the total roundtrip was only 4 miles. Plan ahead and leave early! As we were headed up, the sun already set and by time we reached the top it was dark. The view however is incredible as you get a full view of the area from a bird’s eye view. I highly recommend this for intermediate and even beginner hikers. P.S. if you decide to do a sunset hike, bring a flashlight or two (with good batteries) plus bug spray for the mosquitoes at night!  

8. Snow Lake – Snoqualmie Pass

Snow Lake is another difficult hike at a little over 8 miles roundtrip which much incline. The lake is very beautiful and perfect for jumping in during hot summer days after a long, sweaty hike. There is also an area which you can dip their feet in the water if you don’t feel like getting soaked. 

9. Rattlesnake Ledge – North Bend Area

Funny as it is, I have not been on the most “basic” hike in the PNW. Many people go here multiple times, but out of all the hikes I’ve been on described on this list, Rattlesnake Ledge is the only one I have not yet done. From others, I hear that it gets very crowded during the summer and there is a detour where you can extend your trip looking down on the crowd at the first lookout point. This is definitely one I will try soon!

10. Mount Si – North Bend Area

Mount Si is another difficult hike at the top of my list yet, it has an incredible view that is totally worth it! My legs were shaking on the way down, as the rocks were difficult to get across. Both my friend and I were too exhausted to reach the 2nd lookout point, but I heard that it offers an even better view.

I hope you are inspired by these hikes, maybe most of them, or even a couple! Even though winter is around the corner don’t hesitate to hike this coming season. Just always be prepared for the weather and wear good shoes, probably not running shoes, rather hiking boots that will not injure your ankles. Trek away!