This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Did Valentine’s Day creep up on you this year? Are you scrambling to make plans? Whether you intend to celebrate with your friends, family, or partner, this list has activities to suit the interests of last-minute planners. Here are some last-minute and cold-weather friendly activities:

1. Tour an Indoor Botanical Garden

Almost nothing feels as good as warm air on a cold, February day. Indoor botanical gardens and greenhouses are heated to accommodate the plethora of plant species inside (especially if that includes some tropical specimens), and usually hover around 75-85 degrees Fahrenheit. In Seattle, Volunteer Park Conservatory is a gorgeous tropical botanical garden worth visiting. Admissions are $6 per adult or $4 per student. Located in a beautiful Victorian glass building within Volunteer Park in Capitol Hill, the garden is a plant-lover’s paradise. The University of Washington greenhouse is also lovely, but is currently only open from 12pm to 4pm every Thursday.

2. Evening at the Museum

There are a plethora of outstanding museums in Seattle, including the Seattle Art Museum (SAM), the Seattle Asian Art Museum, the Museum of Museums, Museum of Popular Culture (MOPOP), and the Burke Museum of Natural History & Culture. Most of these museums have a student discount (with student ID), and/or a discount for holders of a Seattle Public Library card. The Burke Museum is free for University of Washington students.

3. Have a Bowling Night

There are a few notable bowling alleys in the Greater Seattle area, with some having roller rinks as well, such as Lynnwood Bowl & Skate. The University of Washington HUB has a bowling alley as well, that is clean and well-maintained. It is open 6 days a week, at $3.50 per student Mondays-Thursdays and $3.75 per student for Cosmic Bowl and Fridays-Saturdays. This rate includes bowling shoe rental.

4. Grab Martinis at a Speakeasy

Speakeasy bars began in the United States during the Prohibition era – a time where alcoholic beverages were illegal. They were hidden bars, typically underground, where booze smugglers would bring alcohol for bar owners and patrons to enjoy. A few Seattle cocktail bars that mimic a classic speakeasy include The Backdoor, Bathtub Gin & Co, Knee High Stocking Co, Deep Dive, and Waystone Wargaming Speakeasy.

5. Go on an Outdoor Adventure

The PNW has a lot to offer, even during winter. There are spectacular frozen waterfalls to hike to, snowshoeing for a slower-paced and scenic pastime, or simply a long walk around your neighborhood, bundled up of course. The Hyak sno-park in Snoqualmie is a popular location for snowshoeing. If you are experienced, bring a headlight and try snowshoeing at night for an extra romantic ambiance. Remember to check pass conditions ahead of time (chains may be required for cars depending on snowfall). If you don’t own showshoes, you can rent them from the UWild’s Gear Garage in the IMA. For outdoor ventures, keep in mind that you will likely need either a Discovery Pass or National Park Pass at most locations. If getting out in the cold isn’t your cup of tea, you could take a long, scenic drive with some hot chocolate.

6. Visit a Local Bookstore or Library

Cold, rainy Seattle days call for a good book by the fireplace and a warm beverage. There is something romantic about taking your partner to a book shop, picking out a book you both want to read, and taking turns reading out loud to each other. Several independent bookstores in Seattle worth visiting include Twice Sold Tales, Clara’s Books, Elliott Bay Book Company, Pegasus Book Exchange, and Secret Garden Books. The Seattle Public Library Central Library location is grand and also perfect for a date.

7. Have a Painting and/or Pottery Outing

Creating pottery, or painting already-made pottery, is a productive and creative activity to do together. Paint the Town, a pottery painting store in University Village, is a great place to visit with your partner or friend. Plus they take walk-ins!

8. Enjoy a Staycation at Home

There are nearly endless options of romantic activities to do in the comfort of your own home. You could turn your place into a spa, complete with massages, pedicures, face masks, and more. Alternatively, you could hold a medieval tea party, or indoor picnic, as seen in The Notebook. A game night is another option and is sure to bring about laughs from both of you. Even more options include baking together, a boudoir photoshoot (bonus points if you use a Polaroid or disposable camera), or an extra special movie night with romantic comedies.

9. See a Movie

While there aren’t currently any extra romantic movies in theatres, if your partner likes action-packed, sci-fi, or scary movies, you’re both in luck. Knock at the Cabin, Avatar: The Way of Water, and Megan are the top movies in theatres right now.

10. Surprise Them!

What’s better than planning a date together? A surprise, of course (that is, if your partner likes surprises)! Flowers, chocolate, and candles go a long way and can be bought at any grocery, convenience, or drug store last minute. Ordering one take-out dish from multiple restaurants and driving around to pick them up on a “take-out tour” is a fun and unique way to have dinner. Surprise photoshoots and spa days are surely welcome as well.

While you may not have been able to secure dinner reservations at that infamous restaurant a month in advance or register for a romantic dance class, you still have solid options to choose from for a holiday outing.

Mercy Johnson

Washington '23

Mercy is a fourth-year physiology major at the University of Washington who hopes to become a physician someday. She enjoys journalism, ethics, and anthropology courses. In her spare time, she loves to hike, play piano, and read. She is also a devoted coffee connoisseur!