This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

A sizable portion of my generation – Gen Z – seems to have telepathically conspired and created a unanimous pact: they’ve agreed to never watch films created before 2000. 

While some may smile to themselves and make a fleeting comment about how “the times, they are a-changin,’” I find myself genuinely saddened by this resolution. From Singin’ in the Rain to Rain Man, previous decades are packed with timeless tales that, regardless of one’s birth date, are essential to an understanding and appreciation of all that came before. The Gen Zers who refuse to watch these films miss out on a glimpse back in time and culture which could make it easier for them to relate to older generations and understand the world around them.  

Film is an artform that preserves time periods, making history relevant and accessible to a younger generation. Movies like Gone With the WindAll Quiet on the Western Front, and Schindler’s List provide insight into major historical periods such as the Civil War, WWI, and the Holocaust respectively. 

Now, I know what you’re thinking: doesn’t history class do the same thing? Not really. Rather than staring blankly at the black-and-white pages of a textbook, watching a film allows you to see how people at a specific time dressed, the appearance of the world around them, and how events shaped and informed their behaviors. In addition, teens often don’t appreciate what they learn in history class because there is no narrative paired with it, meaning they have no emotional connection to what they study. But seeing an event as it impacts a set of characters with whom you’ve connected suddenly makes history more relevant, interesting, and memorable. This historical knowledge is imperative; without it, Gen Z cannot hope to understand how we got to where we are today, what shaped our world and those around us, and, as emerging world leaders, how to avoid the mistakes made by our predecessors. 

Okay, so you’re a history buff already and don’t feel the need to conduct further research via movie-watching. Fair enough. But by viewing films from different eras, you can learn about how the artform itself has progressed. Only by seeing now-outdated film techniques and special effects in practice can you attain an understanding of and appreciation for how much technology has developed over time. And why is that important, you ask? Because the evolution of technology highlights human innovation, creativity, and imagination; it reminds us what we are capable of and inspires future progress. 

There is perhaps no better example than the 1980’s original Star Wars trilogy. The ships, sets, and even the lovable character Yoda are clearly fake when viewed through 21st century eyes accustomed to the reimagined and computer-animated Star Wars films of the late 2010’s. But time-travel back to the 80’s, and these original effects brought an element of realism to the movie that made Gen Xers gasp. That epic scene where buildings fall on top of each other in Inception? It wouldn’t be possible without the knowledge gained through the experimental special effects in early movies, something teens who refuse to watch older films may take for granted. 

And this act of taking what is old for granted is a dangerous decision, and an ironic one as well. After all, in a few years, the movies that enthralled our generation will also be outdated. How will we feel when our children write off our favorite contemporary films as irrelevant? Or even worse, write off our lifetimes as irrelevant?  Older films must be watched to ensure that decades past are not forgotten, and that their culture remains appreciated. 

Take A Star is Born. It may surprise Gen Zers to learn that 2018’s smash-hit, Oscar-nominated picture has, in fact, debuted on the big screen four times. Teens are missing out if they only watch the most recent rendition, as each version of the movie brings something unique to the table. The original 1937 film brought a new, deeply emotional story to the screen while the 1954 remake with Judy Garland is extremely elaborate and lavish, making it reflective of the materialism of the time period. Meanwhile, the 1976 rendition is darker, with portrayal of drug addiction and an ambiguous ending, and the most recent revitalization showcases Lady Gaga’s powerful vocals in the catchy yet deeply profound melody “Shallow.” Observing the changes in the portrayal of this story is quite telling about the values, viewpoints, and technologies utilized by the time period in which each of these films was produced. 

And the fact that this movie — or any movie for that matter — has been remade emphasizes that the core of a story lives on, inspiring generation after generation. Go back and watch a black-and-white, silent picture, and that message becomes even clearer. It is 2020, and yet we still laugh uncontrollably watching Charlie Chaplin make a fool out of himself in 1921’s The Kid. We cannot stop ourselves from clinging so tightly to our seats in terror that our knuckles go white during Alfred Hitchcock’s 1926 horror film The Lodger. From these films, we may not get all the nuances conveyed by speech or color, but they remain a testament to the universality of the human experience. Ignoring older films prevents teens from seeing these incredible stories that may have spoken to them.  

To watch a movie is more than to settle in for a few hours of entertainment. Films are like time capsules with the unique ability to teach history in a compelling way, reveal how far we’ve come, preserve the culture of the time in which a film was made, and ensure that the stories that capture our hearts are never lost. To turn your back on these films would be to turn your back on the past, a dangerous precedent; after all, in the future, the next generation may turn their backs on us. 

Alexis Bentz

Wash U '24

Alexis Bentz is a senior at WashU double majoring in English with a concentration in creative writing and Spanish.
breakfast & poetry enthusiast