This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Almost a month and a half through the first semester, I finally feel like I’ve found my people – a solid group who I love spending time with, be it studying around campus, or going to meals together. One thing I’ve always noticed when developing relationships is that new friends mean new traditions.

So, in honor of that concept, my friends and I have started a new tradition for every week: Song of the Weekend.

Each song has been chosen for a different reason, each representing something relevant to that week or an individual person. Once the song is chosen, it becomes a staple of the weekend events – we’ll ask for it to be played in the uber, or play it when we’re walking around campus. The songs provide a way for us to feel connected even though we can’t be together all the time during the pandemic. Instead of actually getting ready together, we’ll all send videos of us listening to the same song. Some examples of the songs we’ve used so far include:

1. “679” – Fetty Wap

2. “Anaconda” – Nicki Minaj

3. “Die Young” – Kesha

Although I urge you and your friends to develop traditions of your own, choosing a song for the weekend, especially in the COVID era, is a great way to celebrate the end of a long week, and develop a fun routine with your new friends.

Anna Glashow

Wash U '24

Anna is a freshman at Washington University in St. Louis interested in studying neuroscience and political science.
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.