Why Not Wearing Makeup Improved My Self Confidence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Anyone who knows me well knows that I don’t wear makeup. Well, that’s not entirely true… I used to feel self-conscious leaving the house without mascara and concealer. But recently if I wear any makeup at all it’s strictly mascara and a touch of eyeshadow for special occasions. Admittedly, I don’t actually know how to put on makeup. Besides the bare minimum that I have done in the past, I never actually learned how. It was a goal of mine for many years to learn how to do my makeup, but I never got around to it. And now, I have accepted that I will never get around to it.

Makeup looks beautiful on everyone who wears it, and for many, it can be the confidence boost they need. For some people, makeup makes them feel more comfortable, and they enjoy the process of doing it every day. But personally, wearing makeup made me more self-conscious of how I look, and less confident in my appearance.

Makeup has always made me feel self-conscious and pay more attention to how I look. I have never been able to wear makeup without worrying if it looks cakey, noticeable, or is coming off. When I wore makeup, I never truly felt like I was myself. I was never able to feel comfortable in how I look with makeup on.

Since I have stopped wearing makeup, I stress less about how I look in public. I don’t worry as much about how I look in public, and I don’t have to think about my makeup possibly looking weird or coming off. I also don’t focus on how other people see me as much as I used to. Not wearing makeup has allowed me to focus on things other than my physical appearance.

I am able to accept my imperfections and blemishes. Since I have stopped wearing makeup, I have grown more comfortable in my image. I don’t feel like I am trying to look like someone else and am able to accept who I am for me. I don’t feel like I have to cover up every imperfection on my skin and have grown to become more confident in what I look like.

Not wearing makeup has done wonders for my skin. Every time I have tried to wear makeup, I have broken out horribly. Since I have stopped, my skin has mostly cleared. And yes, mask-acne is real, but I truly believe that not having makeup on my face has improved my skin.

Not wearing makeup has been liberating for me. I feel confident in what I look like and am less worried about how other people see me. I don’t feel like I am trying to look like someone that I am not, and I am more confident when I go out in public.

Wear makeup or don’t: do whatever makes you feel more confident. For me, my natural skin has made me feel much more confident in the person I am.

Lydia Sidrys

Wash U '24

Hi! I am a first-year at WashU from Chicago and am interested in studying International and Area Studies!
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.