This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

For my whole life, I have been someone who wakes up at 7:45 am on their own. My days start hours before some of my friends, but I have learned to appreciate that my body is able to wake up this early. Although, this positive feeling was not always the case. I used to be envious of my friends who could sleep till 11 am at sleepovers or wake up and have it already be lunchtime. But, as time has gone on I have begun to love my morning routine and the fact that my body can naturally wake up early on its own.

I genuinely believe that my brain works best in the morning. This is why I am in the smaller percentage of college students who would happily pick an 8:30 am class. I am more focused, more productive, and have more hours in the day. On the weekdays where I do not have an early class, I still try to wake up around 8 am so I can get my work done and fit in a morning walk to get coffee. I think being able to start your day off early is a great habit to achieve. College may provide an environment where sleeping late is promoted, but this will only be a short-term situation. In the long term, it is best to be used to waking up early.

I highly recommend attempting to change your schedule to be able to wake up early and start your day off right! It gives you more hours in the day, a productivity boost, and prepares you for the years ahead of waking up early for work.

WashU Class of 2024, College of Arts and Sciences
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.