What To Wear When You Go Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

We get stuck in the sticky puddles on the floors of frats and ruin our shoes. Our feet are dying and numb by 12 am because of our high heels. Our bags are too big and constantly get in the way when we are finally dancing with that one cutie in our Spanish class. We freeze our butts off after a long night, because someone mistakenly thought our jacket was theirs.
This is the life of the social college woman. However, these misfortunes of going out to the frats or to a local bar are easily solved. And that’s where I come in. I am here to help guide you through dressing yourself for a big night on the town, St. Louis style. I’m not talking about styling an outfit like the cute, backless Urban Outfitters blouse paired with dark jeans, but the actual tricks of the trade to make your night a stylish, successful one. Here are some basics:

1. Wear comfortable yet hot shoes. The less expensive, the better. Chances are that at the next frat party, your shoes are going to get ruined between people stepping on you and getting spilled on. I highly recommend wedges, and with fall and winter rapidly approaching, wedged boots and booties are the perfect solution. Cute, comfortable, and still ideal for shaping your backside to make the boys go crazy.

2. Use a small, cross body bag or wristlet. You don’t want to be menaced by a huge bag or an annoying clutch when you finally have honed in on the perfect guy. You want your hands to be um, accessible, for recreational purposes. A cross body bag can hold all of your essentials and can still be stylish. A wristlet that has designed compartments for your phone, credit cards, campus cards, and paper bills is ideal for the night out on the town. It’s completely hands and worry free.

3. Invest in yet another bra. I know, I know, we all have quite the collection, and let’s face it, lingerie isn’t cheap by any means. Well, some college students at the University of Washington invented this genius idea: the Joey Bra. It was inspired by the university’s Greek social life, ergo it’s perfect for the social butterflies we all are at WashU. This bra literally is a hands free solution to the bag problem because there is a pocket on the sides of the bra that hold your cell phone, cards, and lip-gloss. Brilliant. 

4. A rocking yet inexpensive leather jacket. I know you want to look as hot as you can when you go out, and one solution is to wear an incredible leather jacket. But before you dish out a couple hundred dollars on the season’s it jacket, what happens if you lose it? Unfortunately no one has invented the jacket tracker app for the iPhone yet (tech people, please get on this), and until then, the next best solution is to invest in a jacket that won’t cause panic or anxiety if you can’t find it after a night out.

Featured Images: 
Betsey Johnson Ziah Boot, $99; Piperlime.com
Studded Clutch Bag, $48; nastygal.com
Original Joey Bra, currently sold out; Joeybra.com
Quilted Leather Jacket, $88; nastygal.com

Rosa Heyman is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis studying Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies and Writing. She has worked as an editorial intern at Black Book Magazine in NYC and St. Louis Magazine, and for the web editor at Redbook Magazine in NYC. A Rhode Island native, Rosa likes reading, writing, Kate Moss, The New York Times' Modern Love columns, Paolo Pellegrin photography, and roller coasters.