This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Next weekend, Saturday, September 21, 2019 is the Great Forest Park Balloon Race. If you’re new to St. Louis or haven’t checked it out before, I highly recommend attending this year. Forest Park is really close to campus, and it’s a nice way to get outside and see some cool hot air balloons!

The Friday night before the race, there is also a Balloon Glow in the park with food trucks and live music starting at 5:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. respectively. The actual “glow” part of the night starts at dusk and lasts until 9:00 p.m. 

If you’re Friday night is all booked up, take a break from studying on Saturday at noon and head over to Central Fields Forest Park for food trucks, giveaways, and performances from local St. Louis talent. 

Attending the event and watching the race itself is completely free. So if food and festivities aren’t your thing, balloons start to launch at 4:30 p.m. I’ve been to the race several times, and the pictures are one of the best parts–definitely Instagram-worthy. 

For more information and a map of the race, visit https://greatforestparkballoonrace.com, and I hope you get a chance to go!

Brianna Hines is a junior at Washington University in St. Louis, majoring in English with a concentration in Creative Writing and minoring in Marketing.
Wash U class of 2021; Majoring in Psychological and Brain Sciences with minors in Art History and Communication Design.