Ways To Be More Eco Friendly This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

The holidays are a great time to show how much you care about friends and family. But with the increase in consumerism during December, the holidays’ carbon footprint is huge. We want to show our friends and family we care about them, but also our care for the planet. Here are some ways that you can extend your love for your friends to the planet as well. 

Thrifting and Vintage Stores

Visiting thrift stores is a fun and eco-friendly way to find unique gifts for friends and family. Thrift stores have a great variety of furniture and clothing that could be a great gift for friends or family. I also recommend looking for funny t-shirts from thrift stores, as there are usually a lot to choose from. Thrift stores are also less expensive, so they’re a great option for people who are trying to spend less during the holidays.

Vintage stores, like thrift stores, will have more unique items to choose from. Vintage stores might be on the more expensive side, but it’s definitely much easier to find a good gift, as a good amount of the sorting is already done for you. 

Along with the eco-friendly advantages, visiting thrift stores and vintage stores might also be more fun because it allows you to really immerse yourself in gift-giving rather than just going on Amazon and choosing something quickly. Personally, I think the gifts have potential for being more meaningful because of this. 

Support small businesses on Etsy

The possibilities are endless for finding gifts on Etsy, as there are so many great small businesses to support. Coronavirus has impacted so many small businesses, and the holidays are a great opportunity to help small business-owners. Along with this, many Etsy shops have options to personalize gifts, which can make them more meaningful. I recommend checking out jewelry, airt, and home decoration shops. If you do decide to buy from Etsy, I also recommend finding a present early, as shipping might be a bit slower than Amazon. 

Minimize products from outside your country of residence

If you are supporting bigger companies, try to minimize the amount of shipping that the item must go through, since shipping from further away will drastically increase your carbon footprint. If possible, pick items up from the store or just be sure that the item is not thousands of miles away, if you’re buying online. 

Make a treat with ingredients from a local farmer’s market

What better way to get into the holiday spirit than to bake? Incorporating locally-grown produce will make your baked goods taste more fresh while also supporting local farmers and gardeners. Those who eat your treats will thank you, and so will the planet. 

Look for FSC-certified Christmas Trees

If your family is one that buys a real Christmas tree for the holidays, one way to be more eco-friendly is to make sure the tree was locally grown. FSC certifications on trees mean that there was no need for extra shipping, meaning that the carbon footprint on the tree is much lower. Another possibility is to invest in a high-quality fake Christmas tree to use for many years to come. 

I hope you’ll consider cutting down on emissions and giving back to the planet this year!

Grace Brady

Wash U '24

Freshman at WashU interested in Creative Nonfiction Writing and WGSS. In my free time I love music, hammocking, playing frisbee, and baking.
breakfast & poetry enthusiast