This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Don’t get me wrong, I love it when it gets warm suddenly and randomly. I love being able to walk to the Loop and work in coffee shops without being very upset and I always always love being able to drink iced coffee.

But the warm weather is just a trick and within a day the weather goes back to being weirdly cold and also somehow raining even though it’s freezing outside. And then my level of happiness plummets far lower than it was when it was just originally cold.

As a side note, the drastically changing weather is a sign of climate change. It should not be warm enough in February to walk outside without a jacket and then snowing the next day. That’s not normal or good and in addition to being incredibly inconvenient it is also very worrisome.

But that’s not what this is about. This is just about my own personal dissatisfaction with how different it is every time I walk outside.

If it were just consistently cold, yes I would not be very happy, but I would adapt and wear sweaters and jackets and lots of fun winter clothes. It would be normal. The way it is right now, every time I wake up and it’s a new season, I temporarily forget how to dress appropriately for that weather. And then I figure it out, and when it’s nice out, I have a great day and I’m super happy to be outside and see the sun. But then when the sun goes away and it gets cold and cloudy again, I get much more bummed out than I ever was originally.

These extreme changes in mood are not only exhausting, but my net mood is lower than it would be if the weather were to just stay the same.

That being said, I am very happy with how nice it is outside today.

Maya Schaer

Wash U '21

Maya Schaer is a sophomore at Washington University in St. Louis from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She is majoring in American Culture Studies and minoring in Writing and Design.
Wash U class of 2021; Majoring in Psychological and Brain Sciences with minors in Art History and Communication Design.