The Ultimate Spring Break Guide to Swimwear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

When spring break is on its way, we all find ourselves kicking our healthy eating habits and workout routines into high gear. At the same time, we are having minor freak-outs about being in a bikini all day (ugh). As much as eating well and exercising frequently can do wonders, in the end, your body type is what it’s going to be, and it can be difficult to find that one perfect swimsuit that makes you feel like a million bucks. Not to worry- I have created a guide for you to pick out a suit that not only fits your style, but also your shape.

Large bust- Having a large chest can be extremely difficult when finding bathing suits. In this case, underwire tops are the way to go. They are typically more expensive, but if you take good care of them, they’ll last for years.

Tommy Bahama Underwire Halter Bikini Top (nordstrom.com)

Ted Baker Snake Print Padded Underwire Bikini Top (us.asos.com)

Self conscious about your stomach- Maintaining a flat stomach can be difficult, but there are a few ways to flatter other parts of your body and distract from your stomach if you’re feeling a little skittish. A monokini is like a one piece with cutouts that allows you to choose which part of your body you reveal, whether it be your back or your sides. Believe it or not, there are also straight up one-piece suits out there that won’t make you feel like you’re in 6th grade swim class.

Mara Hoffman for Free People Exclusive Lace Up One Piece (freepeople.com)

L*Space Black One-Piece Sun-Seeker Swimsuit (saksfifthavenue.com)

Small shoulders- If you have a smaller build on top, you must show off your shoulders with a strapless bandeau or a stringy halter top. This is the most flattering look for someone with a small frame, and if you feel confident about this part of your body, why not make it the center of attention?

Nasty Gal Mainstage Bandeau Bikini Top (nastygal.com)

River Island Beige Dakota Zip Bandeau Bikini Top (us.asos.com)

Broad shoulders- The best way to flatter broad shoulders is by selecting a bathing suit top with wide straps. Not only is this look flattering, but it’s also extremely comfortable!

Lisa Maree X UO Behind The Scenes Crochet Bikini (urbanoutfitters.com)

Smaller chest- A smaller bust can be great for buying the cutest, tiny triangle swimsuit tops that always look the best on the hanger. However, if you want something to give you more curves, a v-cut top is a tasteful option.

Peixoto Totoro Bustier (nastygal.com)

Curvier on bottom- High-waist bottoms are a great option for those with what we might call a “donk.” If your caboose is well endowed, do not hesitate to show it off! High-waist bottoms fit very well for someone whose curves fall below their waist.

ASOS Floral High Waist Bikini (us.asos.com)

The final touch- In case you’re looking for something to throw over your suit besides a sorority tank of some sort, I have some suggestions. Whether you prefer something dress-like and girly or a more casual tank or shorts, there are plenty of options.

Mikoh White Long Cover Up Biarritz Dress (barneys.com)

Agua de Coco by liana thomaz Copacabana Short Jumper (saksfifthavenue.com)

Wildfox I’m Really A Mermaid Tulum Tunic (us.asos.com)

All the way from London, I wish you a merry spring break with lots of sunshine and even more self-confidence!

Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.