TV Guide: Study Break Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

For many of us, schoolwork continues to pile up and overwhelm both our thoughts and schedules.  It’s inevitable that you’ll need a break from all of the commotion, and some television R and R usually assures that you maintain some level of sanity.  Or maybe you’re experiencing that pre-midterms lull and need something to occupy your time (lucky you!).  For all you Netflix and Hulu binge-watchers hunting for your next prey, catch up on these shows so that you can join in on the hype!

Homeland

Unless you’ve been living under a rock (or taken captive by a terrorist like the show’s protagonist), you must have heard about Homeland from one of your friends.  With two seasons complete and one episode premiered in season 3, it’s not too late to get in on the action.  The show tracks the life of Sergeant Brody, a soldier who has just returned from years of being held as a prisoner of war.  Claire Danes works as a CIA agent to find out where his allegiance truly lies.  If you’re into drama/thriller storylines (with some love plots intertwined), Homeland is definitely worth a watch.  Caution: once you start, you probably won’t be able to stop!

New Girl

Zooey Deschanel is absolute perfection in this sitcom, portraying a balance of quirkiness and hilarity that only she could pull off.  The basic storyline: a girl moves in with three guy roommates that she has just met and the show tracks their friendship as it develops.  It’s a great, quick study break (about 20 minutes each episode) that is sure to lighten up your mood.

Revenge

The new season of Revenge has just returned, premiering every Sunday.  Emily Thorne (AKA Amanda Clarke) is working to fulfill her revenge plans against the people who destroyed her father.  Set in the Hamptons, these high power, wealthy characters have a ton of hidden secrets.  It’s a great show to watch with friends on Sunday nights after a busy weekend!

Orange is the New Black

This Netflix original is truly a must-watch!  There’s only one season of the series so far, but I definitely advise you catch up before the second premieres.  Piper is the protagonist, a seemingly average middle-class citizen, who has to go to prison for some crimes in her past.  The show follows her experiences, and with such a unique storyline and incredible characters, once you watch you’ll definitely understand what all the hype is about. 

Breaking Bad

It may sound silly considering the show just ended, but if you have yet to hop on the Breaking Bad bandwagon, now might just be your opportunity! All 5 seasons of the show are amazing, tracking the life of a high school chemistry teacher turned meth king.  It’s a high-drama, incredibly well filmed series that will keep you craving more.  The best part?  You’ll never have to wait months on end to solve those cliffhangers since the whole show is finally complete.