Top Ten Throwback Songs You Need to Add to Your Playlist Now!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

At parties, it is a well known fact between my friends and I that I will never know the song that is playing. I have never been into rap music and all these new artists with the same name confuse me (why are there so many ASAPs and Lils??). I want to return to a time where music made sense to me and most songs had a simple and catchy melody. To put it simply, throwbacks are superior songs. Here are some songs (that although iconic) may have gotten off your radar, and need to be put back on your playlist immediately! 

1. I Wanna Dance with Somebody by Whitney Houston

Want to get the room on their feet dancing? Turn on this jam!

2. Come on Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners

A song that everyone loves, but only few know all the lyrics to. Always an instant hit!

3. I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor

This song is just asking for you to belt it out as loud as you can! 

4. Toxic by Britney Spears

One Word: Iconic.

5. I Want it That Way by Backstreet Boys

The most classic boyband song! I dare you to try and sing every harmony in the song with your friends. 

6. Uptown Girl by Billy Joel

Billy Joel is an expert in crafting bops like Uptown Girl. The man has a way with words!

7. Hooked on a Feeling by Blue Suede

Ooga-chaka, ooga-chaka, ooga-ooga. Enough said.  8. Y.M.C.A by Village People

A good old song with some built in dance moves!

9. No Scrubs by TLC

This song is a lowkey jam. I reccomend blasting this one in the car with the windows down.

10. Dancing Queen by ABBA

Quite literally the best song in the world. You can not help but smile when this classic ABBA tune comes on! 

Good luck out there you music lovers and Keep on Dancing!

Isabel is a freshman at Washu, and she is planning to double major in business and drama.
Wash U class of 2021; Majoring in Psychological and Brain Sciences with minors in Art History and Communication Design.