Top 10 Feel-Good Movies To Watch When You’re Sad Or Homesick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Whether we’ve had a bad day or just miss our pups more than usual, we all have those nights where we just want to watch a cute movie and eat the equivalent of our feelings in ice cream (or my go-to, insomnia cookies). Whatever the case may be, I’ve put together a list of my top 10 movies that will definitely make you feel better. 

1. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

One of my fave movies ever, it follows a tight group of friends during the summer as they’re apart and stay connected by sharing a *magical* pair of jeans. It’ll 100% leave you wishing you could be in their girl gang.

2. To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before

This movie is the best rom-com to come to Netflix since like, ever. We meet Lara Jean Covey, a hopeless romantic whose secret love letters get sent out to her 5 crushes. One of these crushes happens to be Peter Kavinsky, aka Noah Centineo aka every girl’s ideal boyfriend. Here he is in all his glory:

3. 10 Things I Hate About You

We get the best of both worlds in this movie — a strong female lead Kat (Julia Stiles) and “mysterious bad-boy type” Patrick (Heath Ledger) with one complicated relationship. We also have a young Gordon Joseph Levitt. So if that isn’t reason enough to watch it, then I don’t know what is.

4. The Princess Diaries Series

In which an ordinary San Francisco gal (Anne Hathaway) learns a life-altering revelation from her grandmother (Julie Andrews): that she is the Princess of Genovia and must choose whether or not to fulfill her royal destiny. It also features arguably the best glow-up of all time.

5. Clueless

A true 90s gem, this movie features Cher Horowitz as she navigates everything from high school grades to boys (including her ex-stepbrother lol) all while slaying the fashion game as she does it.

6. The Devil Wears Prada

In this other classic Anne Hathaway movie, we get an insight into the inner workings of a major fashion editorial as Anne’s character works as an assistant for demanding editor-in-chief played by none other than, our queen, Meryl Streep.

7. Mamma Mia (1 & 2)

The ultimate feel-good movie series, we get ABBA songs, an endearing mother-daughter relationship, and enviable romances on a picturesque Greek Island. After watching this movie, you will want to pack your bags, move to Greece ASAP and fall in love with a cute British boy.

8. 13 Going on 30

13-year-old Jenna just wants to be “thirty, flirty, and thriving” but doesn’t know what’s coming when suddenly, on her 13th birthday, she wakes up as a 30-year-old in NYC. 10/10 must watch.

9. A Cinderella Story (Hilary Duff version)

We love an early 2000s movie where Chad Michael Murray plays Hilary Duff’s Secret-Football-Jock-Princeton-Wannabee-Lover-Boy!

10. Legally Blonde

After our girl, Elle Woods, is dumped by her boyfriend for being “too blonde,” she gets into Harvard Law, where she thrives, teaches us the “bend and snap”, and ultimately realizes that doesn’t want him back because he’s trash.

— Sofia Aguilar

WashU Class of 2022; Potential Psychology and Brain Sciences Major and International Business Minor
Wash U class of 2021; Majoring in Psychological and Brain Sciences with minors in Art History and Communication Design.