This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Three Essential Tips For Adulting

With Corona pushing sophomore and juniors off campus to make space for socially distanced freshman, I can’t possibly be the only one new to this whole adulting. Premature adulting is a chronic issue happening all across the country right now, and from first hand experience, I gotta say it’s not as easy as it looks. With that in mind, here’s some pro tips I’ve started following, that make adulting at least a leeetle bit easier:)) 

1. Pay your bills online and set phone reminders 

Paying your bills online makes it SO much easier to keep track of your rent, gas, electric, internet or whatever it may be. Set a recurring reminder on your phone for the date your bill gets posted monthly, and enjoy your month without fretting your wifi will shut down at any moment if you forget to pay. 

2. Invest in a Meal Planner 

A meal planner is KEY to eating effectively and saving money at the grocery store. Groceries are a substantial part of anyone’s budget post utilities, and it’s important to spend wisely. The last thing you want to do is over shop, and then have fresh produce or meat go bad because you didn’t have time to eat it all. I bring grocery & meal booklet with me to the grocery store, so that I can move efficiently throughout the store, knowing what I need from each department. It’s also an effective way to motivate you through your week, if you know you have a yummy meal coming up the next day. 

3. Keep a Financial Diary

The days of cash bills are over. As a college student (and a woman who has limited clothing items with pockets but doesn’t want to carry around a bulky purse), it’s definitely more efficient to use a credit or debit card, that way I can condense my phone and wallet into one and minimize what I’m carrying. However, the downside of a credit card is that it is so easy to lose track of what you’re spending and get carried away, given that you’re never actually seeing the money you’re handing over. Keeping a financial log book is such a good way to lay out and visualize all you’re spending. Keep receipts, jot down how much what you bought was in your notes sheet on your phone, and then scribe it over every night or every few days. 

So there you have it! Three tips to guide you on your way to becoming a true certified adult :) Happy adulting! 

breakfast & poetry enthusiast
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.