This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

The weather is finally cooling down which means it’s time to break out the layers and the boots. Here’s a list of everything you need in your closet this fall.

Sweater vests: So many people have a love-hate relationship with sweater vests, but this year is the time to get one. Pair it with a button-down shirt and a tennis skirt and you’re ready to live out your NYC aesthetic.

Knee-high boots: White, black, vinyl, leather, it doesn’t matter. Knee-high boots are in and they’re perfect for keeping your legs warm in the chilly weather.

Pictured above: An outfit combining the knee-high boot and leather jacket trends.

Blazer sets: Blazers made a comeback in the spring, but fall is the time of the blazer set. Get a monochrome blazer to feel like the boss-woman you are.

Pictured above: A vivid blue blazer that can easily be turned into a cool fall statement piece.

Black. Leather. Outerwear. Black leather blazer and trench coats have made a comeback. Get a straight fit black leather jacket and you’re set for any occasion. You can dress them up or down, but regardless you’ll achieve a sleek and timeless look.

Corset tops Do I need to say more? I know you’ve seen them around and I promise you they’re not going away any time soon. A corset top is great for a night out or brunch with the girls.

Trousers Now hear me out – I’m not talking about the big dad khakis. I mean the high waist, hip-hugging perfect pant. Literally so flattering on any body type and now they come in so many colors and patterns. You don’t even need to worry about not being able to wear them after they go “out of style” because they’ll always be the perfect, chic work pant.

Not sure if you want to invest in any of these pieces? It’s no big deal. Here are some colors that you’ll see this season if you haven’t seen them already: 

• Brown. Any brown works but especially chocolate.
  • Sage green. Such a cute earthy color you can wear all year round.
  • Burnt orange. If wearing a nice burnt orange doesn’t make you excited for Halloween and color-changing leaves, I don’t know what will.
  • Lilac. Such a pretty color in the spring, but now you can extend it into fall! Happy shopping ladies!
a college student obsessed with fashion, food, and travel
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.