This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Now that school is back in session, I can’t believe summer went by so quickly. I already miss the summer life, where I could take it slow and enjoy the little things day by day. Here are some things I miss the most about being home over the summer.

• My dog
    • The greatest thing about being at home is seeing my doggo every day. I’m sure we annoy her like crazy now after over a year of constantly being at home with her. But it’s nice to be able to pet a dog occasionally. If I get bored, I can go find her and bother her for a bit. A dog makes everything better
  • Watermelon and fresh fruit
    • It’s so much easier to eat fresh fruit over the summer because it’s within reach in the house. I feel like once I get to WashU, I have to make an effort to go to the dining hall to get fruit. I try my best to eat fresh fruit every day at college, but it’s so much easier to eat it at home. Also, there’s watermelon at home. Sometimes there’ll be watermelon in the dining halls, but I haven’t seen any yet this year.
  • Seeing old friends again
    • Nothing really compares to a good group of high school friends. I am grateful that we’re still close after a year at different colleges. We met up a few times just to see everyone again, though we didn’t meet up as much as we wanted to. Busy lives lead to busy schedules, and even over the summer, everyone has their own thing going on. It’s hard to think that after 4 years of high school together, we’ll rarely see each other as much anymore.
  • Ice cream
    • Nothing like having a variety of ice cream in the freezer at home. Life at home is just more convenient than the dorms. It’s not that I can’t get ice cream here; I just don’t like the risk that they’ll melt quickly.
  • The lull of life
    • Summer break is the time to relax, and I really didn’t do much over the summer; at least, I didn’t do as much as I probably could have. I kept putting things off because I think I have time, but suddenly, August rolls around, and I have accomplished nothing. I had fun doing what I could, though. It was nice to not have to worry about school assignments and do more pet projects.

Here’s to a new school year. At least we are back in person. Welcome (or welcome back) to WashU!

Washu Class of 2024. A business major with an interest in all things creative.