This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

This year, it is really easy to complain. It’s easy to lament about the state of the world. About the inability to freely give hugs. About the sudden fear of crowds and the threat of a deadly disease. About the overwhelming poverty and death and sadness around us. About the stressful, anxiety-inducing news cycle. About the inability to have a normal Thanksgiving.

It’s harder than to be thankful. To see the beauty in our lives. So, in honor of this Thanksgiving, I am going to write down some of the things I am grateful for in my life.

I am thankful that my grandparents are alive and healthy. I am thankful that my parents and sisters are alive and healthy. I am thankful for my family’s love. For my friends. I am thankful that, even in the midst of a global pandemic, I have the privilege of going to college. Of living with friends and studying outside and learning in-person. I am thankful for podcasts and for Forest Park (they allow me to take wonderful walks every morning). I am thankful for Folklore & Netflix (watch The Queen’s Gambit!). I am thankful for laughter. I am thankful that my friends and family care about being safe, even if not everyone in the world does. I am thankful for first-responders and medical professionals (especially Dr. Fauci). I am thankful that I have not gotten sick. I am grateful for Facetime and phones and technology, which help me stay connected even when I feel so far away from people. I am thankful that I never have to worry about where my next meal is coming from. That I don’t have to go to sleep hungry. I am thankful that I got to spend Thanksgiving surrounded by friends.

Despite the general state of the world, I am thankful to be alive and well and loved this year. I think it’s important to acknowledge that gratitude, especially because I am privileged enough to have a lot to be grateful for. It is important to take a step back from the daily complaining and sense of disappointment in order to truly appreciate what we do have. Because I think there is a lot to be thankful for, even if it is really hard to see sometimes.

Eliana Robin

Wash U '23

Eliana is a sophomore at WashU studying English and Political Science.
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.