This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

With the new adaptation of Jane Austen’s Emma recently in theaters, let’s take a look at ten other recent (from this century) adaptations of literary classics to check out! 

camcorder on blue background
Photo by Thomas William on Unsplash

Far from the Madding Crowd (2015): Starring Carey Mulligan, this adaptation of Tom Hardy’s classic love story screams period drama. With tons of twists and romance, it’s exciting, even without reading the novel— and perhaps more so.

Pride and Prejudice (2005): Kiera Knightley stars as Jane Austen’s heroine, Elizabeth Bennett, in this adaptation that gives a romantically realistic setting to the timeless classic.

My Cousin Rachel (2017): Featuring Rachel Weisz as the title character and Sam Claflin as her love interest, this mysterious romance film adapted from Daphne Du Maurier’s novel is an appropriate watch for viewers of period dramas looking for an extra bit of excitement.

Little Women (2019): This brand new Academy Award-nominated adaptation of Louisa May Alcott’s classic novel brings the characters and setting into the twenty-first century in an exciting way. Although, personally, it’s better to watch if you’ve read the book.

Jane Eyre (2011): I recommend this adaptation, featuring Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender, to viewers who enjoy Gothic romance and intrigue, but not necessarily those who love Charlotte Bronte’s novel.

Wuthering Heights (2009): This BBC miniseries, featuring Tom Hardy and Charlotte Riley (who later got married), is the best adaptation of Emily Bronte’s amazing love story. Although, I might be slightly biased.

Great Expectations (2012): The adaptation of Charles Dickens’ classic novel puts the plot into an easily digestible medium and excites the audience with performances from Helena Bonham Carter, Holliday Grainger, and Jeremy Irvine.

Love and Friendship (2016): An adaptation of an unpublished Jane Austen novella, Lady Susan, the film features Kate Beckinsdale as a sly recent widow whose funny exploits cause mischief.

Anna Karenina (2012): Another Kiera Knightley feature, the adaptation of Leo Tolstoy’s romantic novel seems quirky at first and then shifts into drama, and I would think, makes the 1877 novel more easily understandable (or at least quicker to experience).

Brianna Hines is a junior at Washington University in St. Louis, majoring in English with a concentration in Creative Writing and minoring in Marketing.
Jess Greene

Washington '22

Wash U Class of 2022, double major in Psychology and Marketing