This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

“Sustainablity” is such a buzzword these days, especially in the fashion industry. It can be hard to navigate the many different approaches to sustainability, and it typically comes down to what’s the cheapest and what’s the most convenient. And, when all is said and done, staying loyal to only environmentally conscious, ethical brands is not easy. Although in an ideal world we would all shop from these labels, they are often expensive and don’t carry all of the items & styles we’re looking for. So, here are some manageable steps you can take to become a more sustainable shopper:

1. Longevity of clothing is key. Look for quality pieces and styles that you can wear again and again.

2. Look for pieces made from one fiber content. Meaning, purchase a pure cotton, linen, or wool item over a poly-cotton blend or spandex-cotton blend, etc. These pure fibers break down a lot quicker and a lot easier.

3. Look for all natural fibers. This means cottons, linens, wools, and hemp over synthetic fabrics like polyester, spandex, acrylic, nylon, etc.

4. Always be on the hunt for hand-me-downs!

5. Shop locally when possible. This avoids transportation of items, and supports your local

economy.

6. Purchase thrifted & consignment items.

7. Trade clothes between friends, and get a little refresh for your wardrobe!

And… if you’re still looking for great eco-friendly & socially sustainable brands, here are some of my favorites:

1. Reformation

2. Everlane

3. Siizu

4. Tamga Designs

5. Klow

Happy shopping!

Hey! I'm Olivia. Besides writing, I enjoy traveling, painting & drawing, sewing, and trying different foods! I am majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Business at Washington University in St. Louis. Along with Her Campus, I am a part of Design for America (DFA) on campus.
breakfast & poetry enthusiast