Stephen Bonser

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

He’s a sophomore transfer student, a varsity Baseball player, a 2011-2012 WUSA, and he may or may not have an undiagnosed addiction to Twitter. Any guesses as to who this is? Meet Stephen Bonser, this week’s Campus Cutie, a former Clemson tiger now turned Wash U bear. This guy will have you in stitches laughing. #Checkhimout.

Name: Stephen Mich21ael Bonser (the “21” is silent)
Hometown: Arlington, VA
Major: Marketing
Campus Involvements: Transfer WUSA, Varsity Baseball Team
Relationship status: Single!

Her Campus: You are almost done with your first year at Wash U! How was the transfer process?
Stephen Bonser: It was so much fun.  From the moment I got on campus I always felt like I was in the right place.  My fellow transfer students are the best, and my WUSAs (shoutout to Sasha, Lindsay, and Annie) were so helpful and amazing throughout the whole orientation week.  Now, I get to be a transfer WUSA for next year’s transfers, and I couldn’t be more excited!  More shoutouts to my fellow transfer WUSAs Katie, Anna, Becky, Matt, Kelly, Ilana, and Jocelyn!

HC: What do you miss most about being a tiger? What’s the best part of being a bear?
SB: I miss the orange.  Orange is an awesome color.  Really though, being a bear has been so sweet that I hardly ever miss my old school. A bear would beat a tiger in a fight pretty much any day of the week, so we have that going for us.

HC: If you had to bring one guy on the baseball team to be stranded on a desert island with, who would you pick and why? What would you guys do to pass the time?
SB: I would bring Eric Myjak, a senior pitcher/first basemen/assistant coach.  We were roommates in Florida and have a wonderful friendship now.  On the desert island, we would grow moustaches and beards of magnificent volume and eloquence, we would create a 5-minute long secret handshake, and we would tweet about it (given that the desert island gets Wi-fi).

HC: What’s the dynamic like on the baseball team? What are the most rewarding aspects of being on this team?                                                                                                                  
SB: This is the most close-knit team I’ve ever been on.  Everybody is such close friends with everybody on the team, and you can see it in practice and in games.  We feed off of each other’s confidence, we support each other when we’re down, and we celebrate when we’re up.  I wouldn’t want to be on any other team.  On this team, I’ve developed some of the strongest friendships I’ve ever had, and I don’t expect that to ever diminish.

HC: What are some of your common bus ride conversation topics?
SB: We’ve taken on the habit of playing Loaded Questions during bus rides.  Basically, one guy asks a question about one teammate, and each person who’s playing sends a text with their answer to the guy who asked.  It makes for some funny answers.  Example Question: What is Coach Duncan’s favorite food? Answers: Duncaroos, Duncan Donuts, Brandon Rogalski.

HC: Apparently you’re a huge Twitter user. Why do you love tweeting so much and what do you tweet about?
SB: Twitter is the greatest thing man has ever invented. Everyone should be on Twitter, because it’s the best.  I got a Twitter account in October because the entire baseball team was getting them, and I got totally caught up in it.  To be honest and blunt, I tweet about poop, very often. I also quote people who say stupid things.  Everyone follow me! @21Slalom

HC: What’s the most embarrassing thing you’ve ever done to win over a girl? What was the end result?                                                                                                                       
SB: Embarrassing is tough because I almost never get embarrassed.  Funniest attempt?  At Clemson, I tried to convince a girl that I was a musician and that my latest EP had just gone platinum in Europe.  She didn’t believe me, but thought it was cute that I tried.  (For some reason, my EP hasn’t hit the charts yet in any continent).

HC: The newcomers on the baseball team won the athlete talent show. What did you guys do?
SB: I was put in charge of putting together whatever skit the baseball team would do.  I immediately decided to do a dance, because let’s be real here, who doesn’t wanna see that?  I put together the mash up of songs (shoutout to @flexfurtick for helping me pick) and choreographed the dance pretty easily.  Six freshmen were with me and they were all really enthusiastic about it, which made it so much more fun.  I was the lead dancer as well, and the dance went really well, since we won!

HC: What are your signature dance moves?
SB: The dance move I invented, which my Twitter is named after, is called the Slalom.  Anyone who was at the talent show saw it during the Usher song, More.  It’s going to hit St. Louis fast, and soon, the country.  Wanna learn it?  It’s easy, just tweet at me!  A YouTube tutorial will be up soon.

HC: Any secret talents?
SB: I play guitar, kind of.  I can hold a steady rhythm, but I can’t do anything impressive, so don’t get your hopes up.  Oh! I am a fantastic juggler.

HC: Where do you see yourself in ten years?
SB: In a mirror.  For real though, if I’m not playing pro ball somewhere, I want to be on the big screen making people laugh.

HC: What are you doing this summer?
SB: Getting tan.  This baseball farmer’s tan is awful and needs to be gone. I’m also going to be working promotions for a local college baseball team, along with working out, and enjoying the break from school.  I’ll be in Washington, DC. Come visit!