Staying True to Yourself and Your Routine During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

It’s no secret that quarantining has us all a little distraught and off of our normal routines. When I first got back home from school, I was still completely in shock, and let myself fall behind in school, eat insane amounts of junk food, and stay inside all day. Honestly, I felt horrible, and I was not acting like myself. So, I found a few easy ways to help me get back on schedule and feel more like myself. Here’s what I came up with:

1. Set your alarm!

It’s easy to fall into the routine of waking up late, especially if you don’t have a zoom conference until mid afternoon, but getting up early will help you to be productive and get more out of your day.

2. Make yourself a weekly schedule, and stick to it

It’s a nice de-stresser to take just fifteen minutes to plan out your week, I promise! You will feel better and more organized. It’s also just fun to decorate, be creative, and make it your own!

3. Get dressed in the morning (and please shower)

I know most days I find myself staying in pajamas until the late afternoon, not putting on makeup, and walking around with hair so greasy I would be embarrassed to see the light of day. However, recently I’ve been trying to put in that extra effort, getting dressed in my favorite outfits, doing my hair, and spending extra time on my makeup. The days I was the most productive were the ones I dressed in an outfit that made me feel good, and did my hair & makeup. Work in an Exercise Routine

4. This one is tough, I know. But, please, please go outside. Disclaimer: I am not in any way athletic. But, I actually have run more now than I ever have, and I love it. It relieves stress and is a good way to burn off that extra food you’ll be eating because we’re all bored out of our minds. Set aside time to go for a nice run around your neighborhood or do a little workout routine to relieve anxiety and keep yourself healthy despite being stuck inside for the large majority of the day.

5. Schedule time to call friends

Don’t just say you’re going to call at some undisclosed time in the distant future, but actually do it. I think we all fall into this cycle of saying we’ll call later, or next weekend, or whenever, so when the time rolls around, nothing actually happens. Make scheduled times to chat, whether it’s weekly, or whenever’s convenient, so that it’s a set time and date in your calendar. It’s important to hold you and your friends accountable :)

Hey! I'm Olivia. Besides writing, I enjoy traveling, painting & drawing, sewing, and trying different foods! I am majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Business at Washington University in St. Louis. Along with Her Campus, I am a part of Design for America (DFA) on campus.
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.