A Spin Class a Day Keeps the Doctor Away!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

by Camryn Okere

With the opening new fitness center, Sumers, came the addition of the Dark Room. Although spinning was offered at the AC, Dark Room Cycling has brought an unheard of turnout to fitness classes at WashU. Spin Classes that previously had a hard time filling up, now fill up, up to 30 minutes prior to the class starting. This is all due to the atmosphere the dark room creates. Modeled after cycling companies like SoulCycle and Flywheel, the new cycling room focuses on creating more of spiritual than physical experience. It does this through motivational music and dim lighting. The room has the motivational saying “power through” illuminated on the wall for all who partake in the class to see. The bikes also have advanced technology that allow its riders to see their rank in the class and therefore pushes them to work even harder. For an environment like this, usually one would have to pay anywhere from 15 to 50 dollars but for WashU students it is free. Spinning has been called the newest fitness craze and we now know why!

The Stages of Spinning

1. What is this “Spin Class” everyone is talking about?

2. Trying to make it through your first class like….

3. When you spin class is the highlight of your week…

4. When spinning becomes a part of your daily routine…

Lizzie is a sophomore, majoring in Film and Poli Sci at Wash U. She loves sloths, pizza, Tina Fey, and pizza!