The Single Girl’s Guide to Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Valentine’s Day is now around the corner, as I’m sure you have deduced from the many heart-shaped decorations that are suddenly popping up everywhere.  For those of us who don’t have significant others, this can be a time that has the potential to be a huge downer.  But, as with anything in life, Valentine’s Day is only as good as you make it!  If you find yourself dateless this Valentine’s Day, don’t worry: here are some tips on what to do if you haven’t found yourself lucky in love.

1.Have a “single ladies” party with your other single friends!

You’re bound to have other friends who are in the exact same situation as you.  Why not join forces and collectively celebrate your single statuses?  If you’re feeling up to it, you can also try to learn the entire “Single Ladies” dance, seeing as it is a single ladies party.

2. Watch “The Notebook,” grab some chocolates and live vicariously through Rachel McAdams

If you feel like staying in this Valentine’s Day, there’s always the option of watching “The Notebook,” the mother of all romantic movies.  There are definitely worse things you could do than staring at Ryan Gosling for two full hours.  Warning: if you are at all prone to crying in movies, you will definitely cry, so don’t watch it with anyone you’d be embarrassed to sob in front of.

3. Pretend that it’s just any other ordinary day

Valentine’s Day, Shmalentine’s Day!  Who said that this day has to even be acknowledged at all?  Just go about your life as you usually would, and before you know it, you’ll be waking up on February 15 as if nothing ever happened.

Here’s to a happy Valentine’s Day, no matter what your relationship status!