This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

“Did you just work out?” was a phrase I heard on the reg. What? NO I did not just run five miles, I would protest; this is my normal attire. I had a wardrobe consisting solely of ululemon and a collection of assorted neon tennis shoes. For eighteen years I considered this to be a completely acceptable way of life; I came from an all-girls school with a uniform of plaid skirts. Everything changed when I had my first week at Wash U. Why did everyone look cute at my 9 am class? How did they look good ALL the time? I was drowning in a sea of sundresses and perfectly styled hair, basically experiencing the biggest fashion culture shock of my life and a severe identity crisis.

By week two, I was determined not to look like a bum twenty-four hours a day. I raided my closet beyond the stacks of running tanks and leggings to find myself a new genre of school wear that was comfy-cute. My new mantra is, “How can I look semi-like a human being and still wake up fifteen minutes before class starts?”  Here are some of my revelations:

Oversized sweater: As fall approaches in STL, it is almost time for the return of the lazy girl’s go-to staple: big, comfy sweaters. Picture yourself rocking this while cuddled up in Olin with a hot chai…studying suddenly sounds so much better.

Nastygal $68

Maxi skirt: It’s just like wearing sweatpants, but unbelievably cuter.

Billabong, $39

Head scarves: Take an extra thirty seconds to change your entire look from lazy to artsy (no need to wash your hair either).

(Target, $10)

A casual shift dress: You don’t even have to put together an outfit; just throw one of these on to completely class it up (I bought it in three colors). When the temperature finally begins to fall, try it over jeans or leggings—it will definitely be a good investment.

(Tobi.com, $32)