This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Living near St. Louis my entire life, I have visited the St. Louis Art Museum a countless number of times, and I highly recommend it to every Washington University student. There are many reasons to visit!

1. Admission is free every day!

2. Art Hill is the perfect spot to relax, take pictures, hang out with friends, or have a picnic.

1. The art collections satisfy people of all tastes. From modern art to ancient American art, from photographs to sculptures, the museum features something for everyone. Edgar Dega’s Little Dancer of Fourteen Years Paul Cornoyer’s The Plaza after the Rain (My personal favorite)

2. Take the opportunity to see work from famous artists, such as Claude Monet and Vincent Van Gogh!

Claude Monet’s Water Lilies

Vincent Van Gogh’s Stairway at Auvers

1. Visit the downstairs cafe for a bite to eat after browsing the museum.

2. Take a photo with the statue of King Louis IX of France, St. Louis’ namesake, located right outside the museum!

1. Get a St. Louis souvenir from the gift shop!

2. The Sculpture Garden is a nice place to eat outside and still look at some artwork.

3. There are constantly new exhibitions opening, the next one showcasing work by Kehinde Wiley, who painted Barack Obama’s Official Presidential portrait for the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery. This particular exhibit is free, and opens October 19, 2018. (Plus, all exhibits are free on Fridays!)

4. The museum is located in Forest Park, only a short walk from campus. Take advantage of your proximity to one of the nation’s leading art museums!

Go to https://www.slam.org/ for more information, and enjoy your visit!

By Brianna Hines

Brianna Hines is a junior at Washington University in St. Louis, majoring in English with a concentration in Creative Writing and minoring in Marketing.
Wash U class of 2021; Majoring in Psychological and Brain Sciences with minors in Art History and Communication Design.