etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ranking of Democratic Candidates (Based on their SNL Parodies)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

With such little differentiation in the field of contenders for the Democratic nomination for President and new polls coming out every day, in the spirit of Chancellor Andrew D. Martin, I have created an empirical, unbiased means of ranking the top candidates: the entertainment value of their SNL portrayals. 

1. Elizabeth Warren

Kate McKinnon is undeniably the star of SNL. Which is why she, as Warren, is at the number one spot on the list. Her impression of Warren is even better than her portrayal of Hillary. As promised, “she fightin’ the fight.”

2. Kamala Harris

“That little girl was definitely Maya Rudolph. 

3. Bernie Sanders

Larry David’s reprisal of his role as Bernie is once again spot-on. David’s channeling of his inner Brooklyn Jew really brings his impression of Bernie to life. 

4. Julian Castro

Castro has most recently been played by Lin Manuel Miranda who during the sketch attempted to brand Castro as #LatinObama.

5. Andrew Yang

Played by SNL recent addition, Bowen Yang, SNL’s new hiring has certainly been worthwhile.

6. Amy Klobuchar

Klobuchar has most recently been featured on SNL in the Brett Kavanaugh hearing sketch. Played by the hilarious Rachel Dratch, we can only hope Dratch will reprise the role in the future. 

7. Joe Biden

Biden is currently being portrayed by Woody Harrelson. However, Biden has also been played by Jason Sudeikis in the past. 

8. Cory Booker

Chris Redd has a very impressive repertoire of impressions, including Booker. However, with little screen time so far on the show, Redd has had little time to showcase his impression. 

9. Beto O’Rourke

Played by Alex Moffat, Beto suffers from a similar problem as Booker both in the actual debates and on SNL, less amounts of screen and talking time. 

10. Pete Buttigieg

Colin Jost has played Pete Buttigieg. Jost also seems as though he was the last resort to play the role, even poking fun of himself for his poor impression of the Southbend Mayor on Weekend Update.

By Rachel Beran

Rachel Beran

Wash U '22

I'm a sophomore at Wash U studying Economics and Strategy.
Wash U class of 2021; Majoring in Psychological and Brain Sciences with minors in Art History and Communication Design.