This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

A warm bowl of oats is the perfect winter meal or snack. It’s the perfect base to add any type of flavor you are feeling. It’s hearty and wholesome.

Perhaps you’ve only heard of the bad rap that oatmeal gets. The truth is, oats on their own will be bland.

But, with a few quick and simple steps and add-ons you will not eat another boring bowl of oats. Read below to turn your brekkie, lunch, or pick-me-up, into a delicious work of art.

1. Use milk instead of water

Any type of nut milk or regular milk will work. This will help make your oatmeal creamier and richer

2. Nut butter

Stir in anything from almond butter to peanut butter. Do this immediately while the oatmeal is still hot and let it melt. This will also add creaminess and hearty flavor in every bite.

3. Crunch

Texture is everything. A goopy oatmeal is depressing. To switch up the consistency, try topping your bowl with some nuts, coconut flakes, granola, cacao nibs, or even some toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds.

4. Fruit

Add some fresh and natural sweetness to your oatmeal with juicy, seasonal fruit. Think berries, bananas, apples, or really whatever floats your boat. If you don’t have fresh fruit, try stirring in some jelly or dried fruit (like dates, apricots, or raisins) to get that fruity flavor. This will also enhance your oatmeal’s texture game!

5. Cinnamon

This spice will up your oatmeal in seconds. Just sprinkle some on and let it transform your bowl…

6. Make it sweet

We all love a little sugar. If you want to keep that sweetness without adding too much sugar, try using maple syrup, honey, or agave.

7. Make it savory

One last option is to scratch everything I said and go for a savory oatmeal. This is a lot less common, but doesn’t mean it doesn’t hit the spot. Don’t knock it ‘till you try it. Some topping ideas include avocado, a fried or poached egg, and some cheese (parm, cheddar, etc.). You can also stir in some veggies like spinach, tomatoes, peas, peppers – experiment! Drizzle pesto, chili oil, hot sauce, or even a simple olive oil on top. Season with some salt and pepper, paprika, rosemary, chili flakes, or Everything But the Bagel seasoning. Maybe even throw in some fresh herbs like scallions, parsley, basil, or thyme for enhanced flavor. Find a combo that speaks to you!

Sophia is a sophomore at Washington University in St. Louis, interested in studying Psychology with a writing minor.
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.