This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

The definition of a guilty pleasure is “something, such as a movie, television program, or piece of music, that one enjoys despite feeling that it is not generally held in high regard.” We all have guilty pleasures, sometimes we hide them and other times we own up to them. So, here’s me exposing my list of shows I’ve watched – all the way through, might I add – without shame. They’re all pretty short, so you could easily sneak in episodes in between study breaks to be entertained in one way or another. Or, you could binge-watch them all unabashedly like I did. Maybe these shows will be on your own list of guilty pleasures too… P.S. They’re all on Netflix!

Photo by Freestocks from Unsplash

Young & Hungry

I don’t remember what got me to watch this show in the first place, but I am so glad that I did. If there was a way to describe this show, it would be “Adult Disney.” There’s a laugh track, touches of cringy dialogue, and plotlines that are sometimes so ridiculous that it’s laughable. But somehow it all works together and never failed to lift my spirits. If you’re like me, you’ll get hooked from the pilot episode and watch it all the way to the end.

Never Have I Ever

The interesting trailer paired with the Indian-American representation is what first drew me into this show, and I stuck with it. Admittedly, the acting isn’t the best, but that’s what makes a show a guilty pleasure right? For some reason, I started watching this show, and I couldn’t stop. There really is no other way to explain it.

Photo by Charles Deluvio on Unsplash

Alexa & Katie

I honestly only put this show on my list because it’s technically listed under the “TV-G” section on Netflix, but I genuinely love this show a lot. It reminds me of an “old-Disney-esque” show with a modern twist that I definitely would’ve watched alongside classics like Wizards of Waverly Place and Suite Life on Deck when I was younger. If you’re looking for a quick and wholesome show to watch, this would be at the top of my recommendations.

Outer Banks

Lastly, I can’t end my guilty pleasure list without the show that blew up at the beginning stages of quarantine this year. One of my friends described Outer Banks as “Riverdale, but make it coastal and sepia-toned,” and I honestly can’t agree with her more. The plot is definitely a bit out-there, but, thankfully, not quite up to par with the insanity that I’ve heard about Riverdale. I honestly enjoyed the show, mostly for the sheer dramatics of it. Hopefully, this show doesn’t pull a Riverdale in the next season because it really does have potential if carried out carefully.

Casey is a student at Washington University in St. Louis, studying Psychology with a minor in Design. Aside from her love for pasta and Netflix-binging, she will most likely do ~anything for the aesthetic~.
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.