This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Wow. I never thought I would be writing something like this, but here we are *high-fives self*. A couple years ago, I wouldn’t have been caught dead running (unless it was from my problems – I still do that now). But now, it is one of my favorite things that I do for myself, in terms of my physical and mental health. I now truly believe that anyone can be a runner. So, from a former enemy-of-running to you, here are some of my tips for beginners!

1. Invest in some good shoes

If you don’t have a good pair of shoes for running, you should definitely invest in some. You’ll want a comfortable and durable pair to run in, and, ideally, they’ll be cute too! It’s already likely that you’ll get sore or unmotivated at times, and injuries or discomfort from your shoes should not be an additional reason to quit. There are tons of amazing running shoes out there. My personal favorites are from Nike or Asics!

Athletic Shoes
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

2. Get new gear

In addition to shoes, buying some new running gear could get you more pumped and motivated to run! (P.S. You might also be more inclined to use your new gear whenever you feel guilt for not using it – this may have happened to me… but hey, it worked!) Just like with the shoes, making sure you’re comfortable is key to running. Before you race off to Lululemon, I recommend looking into other sustainable workout brands, like Patagonia or Athleta. Whether it be for clothes, a sports watch, or even a water bottle, the options are endless.

3. Make a playlist

Truthfully, this is one of my favorite parts of working out. Making a playlist filled with your favorite songs can be really exciting and listening to music as you run can be quite the motivator. If music isn’t your thing, podcasts or audiobooks are some other options! Or if you’re thinking about running on the treadmill, you could even watch your favorite TV shows or movies as you run (just be careful and don’t get injured during a season-finale cliffhanger)!

airpods and phone on laptop
Photo by Behar Zenuni from Unsplash

4. Start slow

Time and time again, I have to remind myself that running is a slow process. It was especially difficult to understand when I first started, but it’s true. With that being said, if you’re a beginner, I would recommend walking or speed-walking for at least a couple of weeks before you get to the actual running part. There were so many times where I wanted to get into running but quit almost immediately afterward because I started off too hard when I wasn’t ready. But when I eased into running by walking, I stuck by it, and I’m still on my running journey today (almost 2 years strong)! Once you think you’re ready, gradually begin adding jogging/running into your routine (for example, walk for 1 minute, run for 3 minutes, etc.). There are even running schedules online that you can follow if that’s easier for you! Also, pro tip: stretch before and after every run/walk.

5. Test out locations

Figuring out where you like to run is an important step. I’ve tested out my local park, a track, and the gym, among other places. In terms of location, there are a lot of different factors that can influence your run – the surface, elevation, etc. I’m personally more of a treadmill girl, but I’m not opposed to a refreshing run at the park either; sometimes it depends on my mood! You might also want to look into time preferences – morning, afternoon, or evening – if you have the luxury of a flexible schedule.

Via Pexels

6. Rest when you need to

Like I said before, there are going to be times when you feel sore and/or unmotivated and don’t want to run – that’s so valid! Take that time to rest, heal, and stay hydrated. What matters is what you do afterward; take that break and get back into it when you’re ready! This is why it’s so important to take it slow and not to push yourself too hard. If you don’t, it can turn into a never-ending cycle of exceeding your limits, feeling awful for not being able to do more than you can handle, and ultimately quitting. This used to be my life, and, trust me, it’s not fun.

Woman in bed
Photo by Kinga Cichewicz from Unsplash

7. Understand that it takes time

I’m going to reiterate my point from above and say it again: running is a slow process. If you’re just starting out, don’t expect to be able to run a 5K right off the bat. At times, running can be more of a mental game than a physical one. You might want quick results, but, in reality, it could take months (like it did for me). It might not seem possible to become a running person at first, but you can work up to it as long as you’re patient. So trust the process and take it from a girl who couldn’t even run half a mile without dry-heaving at the beginning – you got this.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert, and running isn’t for everyone. These are just some personal tips that have helped me for people who are interested in getting into running :)

Casey is a student at Washington University in St. Louis, studying Psychology with a minor in Design. Aside from her love for pasta and Netflix-binging, she will most likely do ~anything for the aesthetic~.
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.