jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My Carbon Footprint: larger than expected

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Using Stanford’s Calculator, I found my carbon footprint to be 29,992 kgs of CO2  per year. This immense number seemed incorrect to me; the average carbon footprint in New York is 9,795 kgs per year, while the average carbon footprint worldwide is 3,791 kgs per year. After analyzing the subcategories, I saw that my carbon footprint in regards to the home was 4,274 kgs compared to the regional average of 3,783 kgs. My carbon footprint in regards to food was 3,769 kgs compared to the regional average of 2,238 kgs, and my carbon footprint in regards to purchases was 612 kgs compared to the regional average of 1,200 kgs.

However, my transportation carbon footprint was 21, 337 kgs compared to the regional average of 2,575 kgs.

After reading these numbers, I realized that my anomaly of a carbon footprint resulted from my abnormally high number in regards to transportation.

I took 16 flights in the last year, many from St. Louis to New York, where my family lives, and these flights accounted for the majority of my footprint.

After seeing my incredibly large number compared to that of the state and world average, I realized I must take action to use other methods of transportation.

Jess Greene

Washington '22

Wash U Class of 2022, double major in Psychology and Marketing