This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

As winter continues to press on, and the temperature in St. Louis hovers around 20 degrees, craft projects are a great way to have fun indoors. Wherever you are living, I urge you to take a trip to your local art store.

One of my favorite things to buy is a paint by number. These canvases range in size and pattern, but they’re all very affordable. You can work on them for 10 minutes or 2 hours—alone or with a friend!

Another fun and easy craft is paint pouring. If you buy a few colors of acrylic paint, a pouring medium such as Liquitex, and a canvas, you can make super cool designs. They’re great to hang on the wall after!

Crochet is a classic. You just need some yarn, a wooden frame, and knitting needles. There are hundreds of free online tutorials that can show you how to make tons of neat things.

If you’re looking for a bigger time commitment, Michel’s art store has a wide variety of cake decorating supplies and equipment. They sell fondant in every color, dozens of varieties of sprinkles, and an assortment of pan shapes. Regardless of your baking experience, decorating a cake with a few friends is always a blast.

Last but not least is embroidery. Whether you embroider a flower on the pocket of your jeans, or elaborately decorate a pillowcase, the results are always amazing. Just pick up some thread and a few needles!

Hi I'm Katie, a Sophomore at WashU majoring in PNP.
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.