This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Take it from me… becoming a morning person can be tough.

I used to love to sleep in until 11:00 AM and ease into my day, but once I started college I realized that meant staying up until 4:00 or 5:00 AM every night trying to finish all of my assignments, studying, and extracurricular requirements. I soon realized how much more productive I could be if I woke up early and took advantage of those morning hours. I started working to create a morning routine that would make it easier for me to get out of bed and start checking things off my to-do lists and have been using it ever since.

Don’t let the early wake-up time scare you: you can start challenging yourself to get up at whatever time works for you and gradually move that time earlier and earlier. You also don’t have to follow every step or do them in the same order I do. The whole point of setting a morning routine is to do what feels good for you!

7 AM: Set your first alarm. Let yourself go back to sleep for a few extra minutes… trust me, it’s super satisfying.

7:15 AM: Wake up for real! Get out of bed, use the bathroom, do what you gotta do just to function. Something I always make a point to do right when I wake up is turn on my diffuser with a fun scent (I love to mix eucalyptus and orange!). It always makes me feel like I am ready to conquer the day gives me a boost of energy.

7:30 AM: Wash your face, put on a little moisturizer, and brush your hair. Then do a few quick stretches! They don’t have to be anything fancy: simply lifting your arms over your head or doing a few neck rolls can wake you up and gently activate your muscles. Finally, get yourself a glass of water and start hydrating!

7:45 AM: Now that you have taken the time to wake up peacefully, it’s time to engage with the rest of the world through social media. Check all your apps, including your email and text messages, and respond to anything you missed the night before.

8:15 AM: Get something done for school. You know you have work to do and you know it’s stressing you out, so might as well get started! Go for your less stressful and labor-intensive assignment first and do it all the way through. This helps make you feel super accomplished right at the beginning of the day and puts you on a roll to get everything finished by the end of the day.

9:15 AM: Call someone you love. I usually talk to my mom for a few minutes, but you can also call another family member or a friend. Feeling connected to the people around you is so

important (especially during these times), and making time for those conversations helps make sure that you are keeping in touch with the important people in your life.

9:30 AM: Breakfast time! Take a break from whatever you are doing and nourish your body. You deserve it after working so hard!

From there, the world is your oyster! You have made it through the morning and are ready to take on whatever the day has in store for you.

Lexi Casazza

Wash U '22

Probably watching Survivor or online shopping right now...
Aliya is an Editorial Intern for Her Campus Media, as well as a member of the Her Campus and Spoon University community at her college. She is a student at Washington University in St. Louis, with a major in American Culture Studies and a minor in Design. When she’s not aggressively snapping ~artsy~ photos or binge-watching films, Aliya is most likely obsessing over absurd fashion trends or perhaps trying them herself.