Lizzie McIvor (2017)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

This week’s campus celeb goes to Reflections, an organization that raises awareness about body image and encourages healthy behavior for the entire student body. The group recently held “eating disorder awareness week;” you might have seen the photos on Facebook of students holding “love your body” signs over their naked bods…freshman photo shoot participant Lizzie McIvor fills us in on the what and why of their most recent project.

Tell me a little about the project. The photo shoot was part of Reflections’ Eating Disorder Awareness Week campaign. It puts on a whole week of events and activities that promote positive body image like yoga and peer talks.  I think what makes these photos really stand out is that they’re of your friends and classmates; they show that everyone can have the confidence to accept and love their bodies.

How did you find out about it? One of my friends, Megan Magray, mentioned it to me and I remember thinking it was a really neat idea.  I’m lucky I got to do it–a ton of people signed up but she got selected and brought me along.

Why did you decide to get involved? The slogan for Eating Disorder Awareness Week is “Everyone Knows Somebody”, and I feel like that could not be more true.  I’ve grown up seeing both family and friends struggle with eating disorders and I remember feeling like there wasn’t anything I could do to help them. 

What was the photo shoot like? It was really fun! I’ve never done that professional of a photo shoot before, and especially not wearing clothing.  I was actually a bit nervous walking over because I had no idea what to expect other than I wouldn’t be wearing pants, but it was actually a very comfortable setting and everyone was relaxed and having fun.  They really encouraged us to get as silly as we wanted. 

What do you have to say to anyone who may feel body-conscious? There’s really no point to being body-conscious.  I know that sounds very simple but there was a time that I just realized that I only get one body and I have to love and take care of it.  It’s yours and no one else’s, so own it. Love your body!