This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

For many college students, Super Bowl Sunday conjures memories of cramming for tests, completing assignments, and stealing a few moments to peer at the famed commercials, halftime show, or even a play or two. As Super Bowl LV falls amid a global pandemic, the would of, should of, could of thoughts linger as a bitter reminder that the 2020 football celebrations were the last glance of normalcy. Rather than fumbling the ball this year, score a touchdown with these simple suggestions to tackle the day. 

Super Bowl Charcuterie Boards: 

Based on two friends’ artistic inspiration during quarantine, the brand-new business Charcu in the Lou crafts edible boards garnished with artisan meats, luxury cheeses, and homemade sweets. Whether the Chiefs Kingdom Board or the Game Day Board, these football charcuteries stage picture-perfect displays with an assortment of scrumptious delicacies almost too beautiful to eat.

College Cooking Contest

Although the big game festivities may be postponed, the spirit of food and friendshipcaptures a beloved American tradition. Kick start the day with a cook-off amongst your dorm or apartment floor by preparing an appetizer to deliver a tasty bite at your neighbor’s doorstep. Perhaps explore the hundreds of sweet and salty Chex Mix recipes loaded with chewy candies and unique seasonings. With a surfeit of flavors and palettes, participants rate and relish their snack-time smorgasbord. 

Game Day Cake Pops:  

Another successful pandemic phenomenon ushered in Amy’s Cake Pop Shop and Boozy Bites, offering handcrafted cake pops and hot chocolate bombs tailored for every event imaginable. Fashioned into detailed sport-themed novelties, the assortment of helmets and football cake pops can cheer your team to victory. Select items available for purchase at Clementine’s Creamery can double the sweetness. 

Football Pretzel: 

Nothing can beat a giant football pretzel on Super Bowl Sunday—not even Tom Brady! Family-owned St. Louis favorites Gus’ Pretzel Shop and Pretzel Boys twist fresh dough into custom shapes and jersey numbers complemented by their acclaimed homemade sauces and dips. A Grubhub fast delivery satisfies a salty fix and provides a filling treat. 

Super Bowl Sunday is a cross-generational celebration, yet many elderly will be taking a pass this season. A friendly phone call or a drop off treat can be the winning ticket and a much-appreciated play. 

Let the game commence!

At Washington University in St. Louis, Lea Despotis is majoring in Political Science and minoring in Sociology with a passion for law and journalism. As an art enthusiast, she currently runs a business specializing in photography and design.
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.