The Lalagirl Writing In Notebook
The Lalagirl Writing In Notebook
Her Campus Media
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Life Lessons From My Younger Self: As Told Through Journal Entries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

I was cleaning my room the other day, trying to make the mess and all the knick-knacks look somewhat organized. I had remembered that I put a few of my old journals in a little Roxy duffle bag, hoping I might start adding to them again. Instead, I found myself reading all of their contents. And honestly, most of what I wrote was pretty mundane (or maybe interesting to a 14 year old). But, maybe I found some gems:

“I broke up with him the day after my birthday (thanks)! I’m realizing more and more that he was just too immature and unwilling to put effort into our relationship.”

Your first breakup is going to hurt the most. But, know when it’s time to let go of a relationship. Make peace with it, know the reasons, and know that it was right.

“After traveling, I went to a two week art camp in Napa. At first, I was homesick, and I’ll admit, dreading the camp, but I ended up truly enjoying the experience. I was able to be independent, meet some wonderful people who I miss so much, and explore my artistic abilities.”

It’s okay to feel a bit uncomfortable at the start of something new and out of your comfort-zone. Try to see value in the experience, whatever that may be.

“I just gotta go and do and take risks and adventure!”

Don’t be afraid to be busy and enjoy it.

“Looking forward to more challenges — and hopefully victories this year”

Sometimes what seem like your greatest challenges can turn out to be your greatest triumphs. They push you to be the best version of yourself.

“That was just a rollercoaster of emotions”

Don’t waste your time on people who make you go through constant ups-and-downs.

“I asked him out. Honestly, at first, I thought he was awkward and I was going to break things off. But I didn’t.”

Don’t underestimate kindness. Also, don’t expect people to be perfect on a first date.

Hey! I'm Olivia. Besides writing, I enjoy traveling, painting & drawing, sewing, and trying different foods! I am majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Business at Washington University in St. Louis. Along with Her Campus, I am a part of Design for America (DFA) on campus.