burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Less is More: An Amateur’s Guide to Minimalism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

It’s only February and I’m already thinking about move-out.

To put things into perspective, in preparation for move-in back in August, my family rented an SUV with a huuuge trunk just to fit all my luggage. Since then I’ve accumulated so much more stuff that I can’t help but think how I will successfully clear my room for the summer. And of course, how to transport my stuff back home.

So of course, all this hassle has additionally got me thinking about move-in for next school year. Frankly, I think I could do away with this incessant planning. So thus, the key lies in minimalism. At least what one would call an attempt:

1. Furniture

• A good desk lamp is essential, and so is a standing floor lamp if you don’t want to be perpetually shrouded in darkness.
  • Personal lounge chair… not so much. My bed and swivel chair have sufficed thus far. Cushions? You really only need one pillow and possibly one small seat cushion.
  • Collapsible storage units for the closet, perhaps one clear 3-tiered bin to stow under your bed for snacks, supplies, clothes, etc. You could always also just fold and stack your clothes without additional drawers in the closet.

2. Fashion

• One good pair of walking/running shoes. One pair of formal shoes. One pair of comfortable indoor shoes (Can be separate from bathroom/shower shoes. Or not). 2-3 miscellaneous pairs of shoes, in accordance with fashion preferences and inclement weather (e.g., sandals, boots)
  • One reliable winter coat (Waterproof with a hood is a plus). 1-2 miscellaneous pieces of outerwear for warmer weather (e.g., denim jacket, windbreaker)
  • Clothes? Having a few basic colors in stock is useful as they go with basically anything and can be worn on any occasion: black, white, navy, gray. The rest is up to personal discretion ~

And there you have it, some basic, totally unprofessional advice for how to maintain both organization and practicality!

Adelaide Choi is a student at Washington University in St. Louis double majoring in French and IAS with a concentration in International Affairs.
Wash U class of 2021; Majoring in Psychological and Brain Sciences with minors in Art History and Communication Design.