This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

As I’ve been reviewing my calendar for the remainder of this semester, I’ve realized that we only have roughly 7 weeks to go. Perhaps this shouldn’t have surprised me as much as it did, given that we’ve just gotten through midterms, but it caught me off guard. I couldn’t believe that we’d already been on campus for 9 weeks.

As this settled in, I began to recognize that summer isn’t too far away. After spending almost a year away from home, it’s become strange to think of myself returning to my hometown for nearly 3 months. For those who are feeling similarly surprised by how quickly this year has gone by, here are some fun ways to keep in touch with friends during the summer (outside of group FaceTimes, of course :)

Sending Each Other Letters

The art of sending letters was revived during the early months of the pandemic. There’s something inexplicably exciting about receiving a letter. Perhaps this is due to the anticipation. In any case, writing letters can be very fun! It’s a chance to talk about unique or mundane things going on in life; to ask questions about how your friends are doing, and to hone your art skills to decorate the envelope if you’re interested. Not only is it a great way to pass the time, but it’s an act that your friends will truly appreciate.

Creating Shared Playlists

Music has always been a great means of communication and connection. Its impact can range from a conversation starter to a foundational aspect of a friendship. If you’re looking for something to share with your friends in real-time, a playlist is a great way to achieve this. You can keep each other up to date on new songs and discover new artists together. Even though you will all be far away from each other physically, at least you can all listen to music at the same time!

Online Card Games

Thanks to the app store, there are a ton of great multiplayer games available. For those who love the card and board games, these apps are a great way to keep in touch with your friends. You can either play each other remotely from your homes, or you can zoom or FaceTime each other to talk while playing. Similar to the shared playlist, this is an experience you and your friends can share in real-time, despite being miles apart.

There are many other great ways to keep in touch with friends outside of social media and texting. Have fun with Netflix parties, sending each other work out or craft videos, or sharing book and movie recommendations. And if all else fails, just remember that we’ll be back on campus in just a few months!

Freshman at WashU interested in English and Business.
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.